Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Source Control

Hi,

I was wondering what SCC Provider you guys use while using TestComplete.

Our team is leaning towards git, but I'm just not sure if that's the best option for us.

Any input would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Source Control

I've used VSS, TFS, and Mercurial.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think i'd lean towards the DCVS systems like Git, Hg (aka Mercurial), or Bazaar. The reason I say this is because the most trouble some parts are the namemapping, project files, and other xml files which have a hard to read (humanly) schema.

So there's a big challenge in trying to merge by hand. DCVS version control tends to do better in this regard, as they'll keep a history of all the delta's locally, which makes it easier to merge automatically when you rebase.

Currently I'm not using TestComplete (changed jobs to a different company that uses a different tool), when I was working with TestComplete, we used Perforce (since it was what developers were using). We had so much problems with broken namemappings and broken projects because the automatic merging wasn't as good. You see the difference between the version checked out, the current version, and your working copy. It didn't have a concept of what changes were made over time, so merging multiple checkins by a colleage with your working copy was very annoying. That's why I wouldn't recommend tools that doesn't support DCVS.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what are your developers using for SCM, and why aren't you using the same?
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Our QA team just barely got the resources to start automation, so we aren't using anything yet. However, our devs are using git, which is the main reason that is the top canidate so far.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My experience with Git in test automation projects has been pretty good. It seems to be able to handle automatic merging very well and avoid the need to create multiple private repos on a central server. Using merge request / push request features on some of the popular git hosts, it's easy to setup a system where code goes through explicit code reviews before betting merged into the master branch.

I don't know if this holds tree in TestComplete since v7, as their namemapping format could of changed since I last used TestComplete. One problem you might hit with .git is the lack of the ability to create exclusive locks on files. This is helpful for the namemapping file in v7, where there was 1 namemapping per project. This meant that on a large team, everyone will be making changes to it concurrently. (which is also one of the hardest file to merge using source control tools due to being very hard to read by human eyes). I've heard TestComplete since then have introduced some merging features to their namemapping, so it wouldn't be too hard to create a workflow to work around it. (like mapping to a separate proejct, then merging those changes back in using testComplete instead of the source control)
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    However, our devs are using git, which is the main reason that is the top canidate so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

in that case, I can't think of a reason to use anything other than git. jump in!
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I forgot to mention.. it's generally good to branch your automation code with your application under test. This will allow you to checkout an older version of your tests if you want to test an earlier build. Or if you have multiple branches, you can have an updated version of your test scripts for each branch.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am using TFS with TestComplete, and it's working okay for the most part. The biggest factor is that I'm the only one doing source code check-in and check-out. My project is across three machines, so it works out for that.

The only headaches I run into is that I'm using 2 domain accounts for check in & out. one problem is doing fake check-outs so I can change some project variables on computer A where I want to use it on computer B. That's where the headaches start.

I got around this by finally making a UserForm where you can put in any values you want to get around the need for a check-out. Just type in the credentials and you're good to go.

When I suspect things go out of sync, I check in all the things & do a "get specific version", being the latest & force over-write everything in Visual Studio(with TestComplete shut down).

What I ultimately want to do is have any machine run TestExecute in network mode without any issues. So far no luck, but TestExecute + UserForm & a fresh copy of the whole TC project and anybody in the building can run my automation suite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One advantage of using TFS with TestComplete is, you can integrate it easily with TFS so that automation runs soon after build is generated by TFS.

So total integration is easy with TFS + TestComplete combination.

I am not sure how easy it is on other source control products.
    thrive for success

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast