Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Using Dictionaries in Keyword Tests?

Is there any good way to work with Dictionary objects from keyword tests? Doing something simple like iterating over the keys and printing out each key, value pair seems like it will be pretty cumbersome.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Using Dictionaries in Keyword Tests?

I have found that Keyword Tests are very powerful when it comes to creating tests for GUI interaction and building checkpoints and such in a way that works well for both coder and non-coder testers. However, to do more complex algorithms and logical code, I've found Keyword Tests to be cumbersome and have found that I supplement my Keyword Tests with script routines to perform those kinds of tasks.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but was hoping maybe there was a quick hack I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the input [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I mean, you probably COULD use a lot of "code snippet" actions in your keyword test but what would end up happening is that most of your keyword test would be "code snippets" at which point you might as well just buckle down and write an actual code routine.

Some other techniques that I've used is to make liberal use of the "Last Operation Result" feature. So, say I use a Keyword action to run an Object Method. And I choose as my object aqDateTime and the method of Now. Well, that just calls it without really doing anything... but then I can call on my next line aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr and pass in as a parameter "Last Operation Result" which will pass in the value of Now that was previous returned. And then I can call Log.Message as the NEXT line and call "Last Operation Result" as the message string which will give the result of DateTimeToFormatStr and so forth...

Take a look at the attached screenshot to show one way of doing this. While this is not a Dictionary object, perhaps you can adapt something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure