Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

program location

I have a program installed under C:\Program Files\ClientApps (x64) or C:\Program Files (x86)\clientApp (x86) folder

How can I use any build in function to use % parameter to get the program path with (x64) or (x86) as I don't want to use hardcode to define the program path?

any help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: program location

Do you want to set the program path in code to execute your application? Or do you want to find the application and get the path back? Your question is a little unclear.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, I want to find the application path. It depends on the operation system with either 64 bit or 32 bit.
    ie
    C:\Program Files\ClientApps (x64)\client.exe or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\clientApp (x86)\client.exe

currenlty, I am using the OS info to check 64bit or 32 bit to assign the hard coded application path. I was wondering if there are better/clever ways to get the application path.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

You can use environment variables. For example, you can insert them to the path to your application added in TestedApps either via the editor, or from scripts (see the "TestedApps Editor" and "TestedApp.Path" help topics). Also, you can obtain values of environment variables in scripts by using the aqEnvironment.GetEnvironmentVariable method (see the "aqEnvironment.GetEnvironmentVariable" help topic).
    Jared - AQA Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks

I've read the help topic for aqEnvironment. But how can I know the environment variables.

for example, 'programfiles' variable can be used to the path of program file of 32bit or 64 bit.

How about other variables? Don't really understand how to define other variables of other program locations.

C:\Program Files\ClientApps (x64)\client.exe or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\clientApp (x86)\client.exe

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

You can either define an environment variable in Windows and keep the path there, or check your system's bitness and generate the path dynamically in a script. For example:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>...
    // JScript
    var is64bit = false;
    if(Sys.OSInfo.Windows64bit) is64bit = true;
    var path = aqEnvironment.GetEnvironmentVariable("ProgramFiles ", is64bit) + "\\ClientApps ";

if(is64bit) path += "(x64)\\";
    else path += "(x86)\\";

path += client.exe;
    ...</pre><hr />
    Jared - AQA Support