Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Help in writing scripts for Delphi application

Hello,
    I'm working as a black box tester and recently I've tried the TestComplete. I haven't tried until now automated testing tools. I managed to make simple test using the capture and replay function, checkpoints, different statements but I don't know how to make more complex tests such as a test for verifying the user rights (no rights, insert, edit, delete) for each page from application. Can someone help me? My boss is thinking seriously about buying this tool but first I have to show him that it is really helpful for creating the necessary tests for regression testing. There is no one else in the company with more knowledge about automated testing. Any examples of scripts for testing GUI Delphi application would be useful. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Help in writing scripts for Delphi application

Hi,

See the reply in the SmartBear forums thread you started.
    Regards,
    Allen - SmartBear Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Magda,

I don't know much about Delphi - but I can tell you that TestComplete offers a large variety of languages to chose from. Currently - all my code is done in JScript - but I'm sure it works fine in other languages as well.

To answer your question, the keyword testing is a little limiting to be honest. You CAN create more complex scripts, if/else statements, etc, but you get far more flexibility when using scripting. Im not sure how much experience you have with that (Delphi scripting in your case) but that is where I would start.

Next, make sure you use the object spy to get any object you want to work with. It looks like a window with a target/cross-hair on your toolbar. Then you can click the cross-hair and drag it to any control you wish to use. I normally store that code into a variable so I can use/re-use it anywhere in the application. When your on this screen, you'll see 3 tabs. Properties, Fields and Methods. Most are pretty self-explanatory, but you'll need to apply a method to any variable/object you're working with to tell testcomplete what you want done. For example, if you want to click on the OK button - you would grab the object using object spy and send it a Click() method in order for that button to be pressed during runtime.

The help topic's are really good - and the support guys are great as well if you're having additional problems you can't figure out. I wouldn't say you need to be an expert coder/scriptwriter but some basic knowledge would definitely help you.

Hopefully that helps - and best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes we can write Script in JavaScript for Testing Delphi application.
    Thank/Like to help others if my input helped you !!!
    I am speaking for myself, not for my employer nor any one.
    Automation Ecstasy