I was just wondering what is the best approach to the reporting of the test execution report.
I am currently considering the following options:
+ Write a custom library to log results into Access DB and pretty it up via HTML
+ Write a custom library to log results into a text file
+ Use TestComplete logs (but this is only with TC, i need it to be external)
Basically I want a neat solution which I (and other ppl, namely management) can check the status of the execution during script runtime
You can have a framework like this:
- scheduled tasks starts a tests,
- one can check the test status via html while execution,
- test cases and test suites "notifies database" about it's execution status,
- email notifies when tests are finished (you can also notify your management),
- test logs are exported on network drive and waiting for check,
I think you can implement all of your ideas (maybe this file is not the best one). The most time consuming would be database and test results via html.
If you don't care about trees you can also print results on some network printer.
I do not recommend .MHT format. For a long test runs, export file is really big and IE is in trouble handling it.