Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Plea for automated testing framework guidance

Hello! My name is Jeremy, I am the lead of my company's QA department, and have also been tasked with the implementation of an automated test system. Of course, as has happened many times before I'm sure, it's something I'm expected to do with no training and as a side project on top of my normal duties. I have no previous programming background, but am quickly getting to a better place where that's concerned as I stumble my way through this.

I'm on my fourth attempt from the ground up to implement something that's truly going to be beneficial and not ultimately a hindrance. Through trial and error I've come to the conclusion, since this automated system will ultimately have to cover multiple products based on multiple platforms, that a well-designed framework needs to be my starting point.

I will continue to dig, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of older discussions, or documentation, or examples, anything and everything that can help a newbie like me understand exactly what a good framework should look like/ consist of. I have a very basic idea, but I know that attempts on my own without additional guidance will most likely result in 4 or 5 failed attempts before I have anything even remotely useful.

I write in vbscript. In my mind, my best bet will be a data driven/ keyword driven Hybrid type setup. I'm running TestComplete v6.0.191.7 (that I might be able to justify the cost of upgrading once I put something into place to justify it). The products this project will ultimately have to be able to handle are vb6 based (with .dbf backend), .NET based (with SQL backend), java based (using .jsp client), and a web storefront product. Plus, though I don't know if it would be part of the framework or not, I would also like it to auto-update test cases in TechExcel's DevTest tool (I don't yet have applink, but can get that as well once I have something to take to the 'decision-makers').

I currently have separate pieces that handle navigating throughout each. I have load testing setup for the web front. I have scripts that populate UI's with data using .dbf and .xls source files. I have pieces that do object comparisons and table comparisons. Basically, I just have a bunch of individual pieces that work well on their own, but will ultimately take more time and resources than I have to maintain and use with any sort of practicality. Considering the sheer size that this ultimately needs to be, going any further without first putting a robust framework in place seems futile.

I am now 2 years into this, and while this is just considered a little sideline project to the powers that be, being the lead of this department in an environment ever-growing in complexity, I recognize more than ever the need for an automated test system. So there it is, there's my heart poured into a forum post. Any guidance to get me going in the right direction will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Plea for automated testing framework guidance

Hi Jeremy,

You might want to take a look at this link:

http://safsdev.sourceforge.net/FRAME...Frameworks.htm

Another suggestion is hire someone with some experience in automation development.

Good luck,

Robert
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of what they have. [Anonymous]

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey Robert. Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact, that link is the one most useful thing I've found thus far. In fact, I have it pulled up right now where I'm reading through it for like the 5th time. There's some really good stuff in here.

Unfortunately, at this point asking for an additional head, especially one specifically for what is considered by those I'd have to have approval from as a side-project, is impossible. But, if I can take a well drawn out test design and framework project to them, something to illustrate what I'm attempting, then it's possible that I can then upgrade testcomplete, get applink, and maybe even an automation developer. Until then, however, it's just me.

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Unfortunately, at this point asking for an additional head, especially one specifically for what is considered by those I'd have to have approval from as a side-project, is impossible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeremy,

I recommend that you and your management read the following article by Bernie Gauf and Elfriede Dustin http://www.softwaretechnews.com/stn_...;article_id=90. Of special interest should be the section on Automated Software Testing Pitfalls which states that two of the most common mistakes in attempting to implement an automated testing strategy are Treating automated testing as a side activity and Thinking anyone can automate a test.
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I appreciate the recommendation, Tonymro, and have read tons of stuff on that very topic... and agree totally. But, I've only got to work with what I've got to work with. If I can just get some guidance so I can further educate myself, then maybe I can put together a project plan that can change minds and make them see the light. But simply asking management to read that is not going to get me anywhere. Believe me, I know.

Plus, while I'm no development expert, I've gone from 0 to some pretty involved stuff on my own, just by what I've learned through forums like this one and researching online. Not anyone can automate a test, but I can. I have.

Now I'm ready to step into the next realm. I've learned the hard way, just like all the best have. When I read through a document talking about why, for instance, a framework is so important, every example given as to what you run into without it, I've run into. What I've learned through this process has taught me more than any teacher in any classroom could possibly convey.

Not to sound unappreciative, but I'm not looking for people to talk me out of it, and I'm not looking for options outside of the scope of what's possible in my situation. Everybody had to start somewhere. I'm starting here. I've got the tools, the talent, and the perfect opportunity to learn what you all have learned, probably in a very similar way to the way you've learned it. Now I'm just trying to gleam from those who have already traveled the hard road some guidance. That's all.

Just as rkmedd's signature line states, "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of what they have." I want to be happy too! Either way I'm going to do this. And either way it's going to be a long, painful process. I know that. But once this road is traveled I can then be the one on a forum telling newbies that they should face reality or give up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hello all i am new in SQA field. and have not very wast knowledge all about it. my boss said i will have to learn the things by my won self. so any body who can guide me? like automated testing? how to test a web and desktop applications critically. i am so tensed please help me out. thanks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Saba_pk. Believe me, I know where you're coming from and I feel for you. It's not going to be easy.

I'm assuming since you're in this forum that you're using TestComplete? My first suggestion, to get you going, would be to study everything you can on whatever language you'll be using. w3schools.com is a great resource for this. And learn all you can about TestComplete itself. A good resource for that is here... http://www.kessler.de/prd/automatedq...tComplete.pdf.

Plus, most of what I learned I found searching for VBScript related stuff and TestComplete stuff. There's a ton of information out there.

Once you start to learn whatever language you're using, you'll begin to get a much better idea how to go about scripting automated tests. It'll just take some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi all,

The framework you need to implement depends mostly on specific tasks you need to accomplish, so, it's hard to give any general recommendations for that. I can, however, provide you with some useful sources of information for TestComplete:

First of all, I recommend that you see the "Getting Started" section of TestComplete's Help system. A printable version of this section (Getting Started With TestComplete 7.doc) is located in the "<TestComplete 7>\Help" folder.
    The "Working With Applications' Objects and Controls" help topic can also be useful for you.

You can download the "TestComplete Made Easy" book from our web site:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/testcomplete-book

Also, please see our screencasts demonstrating how to use TestComplete features:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/products/...e/screencasts/

Besides that, I recommend that you study the TestComplete FAQs, which are available on our web site:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/products/testcomplete/faqs/

Open the Start menu, click the "All Programs | AutomatedQA | TestComplete 7 | TestComplete 7 Samples" link to find some samples demonstrating how to use TestComplete features.

Finally, you are more than welcome to visit our newsgroups. Information about our newsgroups is available here:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/support/newsgroups/

Also, you can contact our partners in your country. You can find information about them on our web site at:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/partners/...p;sort=country

In addition to that, here is a link to a useful technical paper which explains how you can improve the performance of your TestComplete tests:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/techpaper...formance-tips/

BTW, to help you get started with TestComplete easier, I recommend that you visit our free TestComplete webinar: http://www.automatedqa.com/webinars/
    Also, we offer an online TestComplete training course for an affordable price - please check the training options on our web site:
    http://www.automatedqa.com/support/training/

[ QUOTE ]

I'm running TestComplete v6.0.191.7

[/ QUOTE ]
    The latest version of TestComplete 6 is v. 6.53, I recommend that you update to this version.

[ QUOTE ]

In my mind, my best bet will be a data driven/ keyword driven Hybrid type setup

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please note that TestComplete 6 does not provide special support for data-driven testing in keyword tests (the feature has been added in TestComplete 8, actually).
    Regards,
    Allen - SmartBear Support