Numbers and letters

I have a test that calls values from an Excel spreadsheet. The values it calls contain numbers and letters. One worksheet contains mostly numbers and the other Excel worksheet contains mostly letters, but Test Complete does not seem to like the mixture. In the past I have just put an apostrophie in front of the letters but I am not able to do this in this instance. I seem to recall there is something I can do in Excel that will help.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Re: Numbers and letters

Hi Toby:

I think the below is what you are talking about how to "fix" Excel (or better yet the Jet engine):
    [ QUOTE ]

ScanRows:By default, the value for this key is 8. Hence, the provider scans the first 8 rows
    of the source data to determine the data types for the columns. If any field looks
    like text and the length of data is more than 255 characters, the column is typed
    as a memo field. So, if there is no data with a length greater than 255 characters
    in the first 8 rows of the source, Jet cannot accurately determine the nature of the data type.

To change the value of TypeGuessRows, use these steps:
    1. On the Start menu, click Run. In the Run dialog box, type Regedt32, and then click OK.
    2. Open the following key in the Registry editor:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engi nes\Excel
    3. Double-click TypeGuessRows.
    4. In the DWORD editor dialog box, click Decimal under Base. Type a value between 0 and 16, inclusive, for Value data.
    5. Click OK, and then exit the Registry Editor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mumbai, India

Re: Numbers and letters

Hmm I also faced the same issue. But then I realized that when I use the columns with same Data type then it seems to work fine for me. For example all the rows of column A contain numeric and column B contains LETTERS. Try to adjust your test data in such a way that an indivdual column contains values of same data type. just try this. I hope it will work for you as well
    Performance Learner