Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Connected Application testing

Hi all,

I am evaluation new automation products for a new company I am at. I have 15+ years experience in test automation and development but have never used TestComplete.

I am interested in learning more about the "connected application" feature of TestComplete. Can anyone answer some of the questions I have?

Does this give the ability to generate stand alone .EXEs from Visual Studio using c# or VB.NET that I can then pass around to the manual test team or others?

Does this require separate licensing or an addition installation of the TestComplete engine on the other user's PCs to run the stand alone test application?

Once a stand alone test application is developed is it fully functional (i.e. can it do whatever a standard TestComplete test script can do or are there limitations as to what it can do)?

Thanks all...
    If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Connected Application testing

Hi Ciege,

Connected applications are not stand-alone, they can work only if TC is launched and is running a script. So, you need to install TC on the machine where your Connected application works, and you need a license for this copy of TC.
    As for limitations, code in Connected applications is fully functional. Anything you can do in TC is available in Connected applications.

You can find more information in the "Connected Applications" help topic.
    Jared - AQA Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I see, thank you, I was confused as to the way that it works. A shame actually. Being able to generate a stand alone .EXE by just including the reference to the TestComplete DLLs would be a VERY useful feature.

Thanks.
    If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Ciege,

Unfortunately, there's no way to implement such a feature at the moment. Runtime objects used in scripts (such as Sys, Log, etc.) are not available if a script is not running in TC - they are registered at run-time only. So, there's no way to create 'completely' stand-alone applications.
    Jared - AQA Support