Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When should automation test be implemented?

Hi, guys, it is me again. I am still new, so please bear with me if my question is too native. I would like to know when the automation test should be designed and implemented in a iteration project process. As we know that it does not make sense to start the automation test when the software and its user interface is not stable at the initial phase of the software development, so the manual testing is probably more suitable. Later on, the automation test does make sense when the software is more stable, however, I am not sure when is the right time to start the automation work. Should we start the automation based on the amount of functions that are implemented? Or should we start the automation based on the amount of manual tests we have created. I understand there are a lot of factors affect the time to bring in the automation, but I am wondering if there is some kind of general rules to help me decide it. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: When should automation test be implemented?

Why can't you implement automated testing prior to having an interface? This is assuming that automated testing centers around GUI testing only. While GUI testing is a big part of test automation, it's not the only part.

You can automate any function that is produced prior to it having any interface. If there is a function which performs a specific calculation based on a couple inputs, then you can run different input combinations against that function to see if it throws an error, passes, or fails.

So, really, test automation can be started at any time. As you progress in your project, your automated tests will also begin to progress or mature. As interfaces are added, so to are automated tests to test those interfaces.

Right now I'm even working on an automation project for a product that has already released. This is only going to be used for future builds. So It's really a matter of preference and also time, as in how much time or resources to you have and to what degree do you want to implement your automated testing.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------