Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Comparison between Winrunner & BadBoy

Hi All,

Can someone help me get some points on differences between
    Winrunner & badBoy(Open Source Functional Tool)

Thanks,
    Rakesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Comparison between Winrunner & BadBoy

Winrunner is dead, Badboy is alive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WinRunner is more expensive, but BadBoy is NOT Open Source.

BadBoy seems a lot more like QuickTest Pro than WinRunner, to me.

And WinRunner is certainly not dead.

From the BadBoy web site FAQs:

"Is Badboy Free?

No - Badboy is free neither as in Beer or as in Speech - however check out the License Agreement to find out whether you are required to pay a license fee. Many users aren't. Having said that, if you strongly believe you could make a positive contribution to Badboy in some way, or have a particular need or reason to have the source code, send an e-mail to support@badboy.com.au - all options will be listened to.

How does Badboy compare to the big name capture/replay testing tools on the market?

If you want a huge, complex tool with hundreds of menus and an entire built in scripting language that requires a training course to understand - well, it's possible Badboy is not for you. But if you want a simple tool that is easy to use but still does 95% of tasks then Badboy could be perfect. We believe that in most cases the value of having an easy-to-use tool that you can afford to deploy across your whole team is far greater than that of the "super-tool" that is used and understood by only one or two people. With the friendliest license terms around you can't afford not to try Badboy! "
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

And WinRunner is certainly not dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that depends on how you define "dead":

https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpms/disp...1074_4000_100__

I would not consider a tool that a vendor has formally announced and end of life statement for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why are you comparing only these tools?

I checked out the BadBoy site and I see that it appears to be free to use for profit organizations up to 5 users. After that you have to buy licenses. Personally, if I had 5 people using it I'd probably want licenses anyway.

I'm just curious as to why you seem to be on two opposite ends of the scale here as far as product maturity. What requirements is Badboy filling for you that you aren't finding elsewhere. I would have to call the longevity of each of these tools into question, one because it's new and unproven, and the other because it's obvious that the producer is ending support for the product.

If WinRunner is, in fact, dead then I wouldn't make a new purchase of it, even though it would probably have more support via forums and such than a newer tool.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------