Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best Automation Tool for Delphi

Hi,
    We are trying to select a tool for automating an application in Delphi.

I have read through this forum and somewhere TestComplete from AutomatedQa was suggested.

I would like to ask whether someone(group/company/individual) has done any automation on a Delphi application? If yes, what was the experience and any lessons learnt?

What I am looking for (being a bit ambitious) is a tool which is best for automating testing for a Delphi application.

(Not sure where to put this thread either in discussion or automated testing -but since this is a automation related query, putting it here. Moderators please correct, in case).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best Automation Tool for Delphi

Testing a Delphi app is the same as testing a MFC or .NET app. So any GUI test tool will work. But I never used Delphi [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Get free Web Testing Add-Ons for IE and Firefox
    My email, iMacros Performance & Regression Web Testing
    Monitor your website in IE, Firefox and Chrome: AlertFox Website Monitoring - full AJAX and Flash applet support.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Testing a Delphi app is the same as testing a MFC or .NET app. So any GUI test tool will work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't feel this is accurate advice.

In most cases the tool needs to have specific built-in are add-in support for apps built with technologies like .Net and Delphi. For example WinRunner supports Delphi while QuickTest Pro does not, and QuickTest Pro supports .Net apps while WinRunner does not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Our entire application suite, with the exception of our eCommerce web application, is written in Delphi.

Experience? Probably no real difference than automating testing for application written under some other language. There are ins and outs, ups and downs for any tool or technique that are language independant.

Ultimately, you should do some research with some trial versions of various tools to compare them to your list of criteria.

For ourselves, we use TestComplete by Automated QA for two reasons:

1) It definitely supports Delphi as, from my understanding, Borland themselves have used TestComplete to test their Delphi IDE. TestComplete has built in capabilities to read and access standard Delphi components and has, when using the DelphiScript language, many of the same builtin VCL objects that Delphi has.

2) Being a DelphiShop, having an application that uses a Delphi-style scripting language (DelphiScript) is very useful for our testers and automators as they can draw on the resource of the development staff for advice and assitance in writing more complex tests. For that matter, our developers, if required to, can write their own series of automated tests in a familiar language.

Again, the caveat is that while TestComplete works well for us, you should always do your own research.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have seen automation on a Delphi application in 2005. I had to modify and run them - the original scripts were dated year 2002 and before.

Now,
    1. Winrunner - I know it has a Delphi add-in, BUT does mercury (rather HP) support this tool anymore.

2. QTP - I'd like to evaluate, but after installing the freeware version the results were not so encouraging and I dont see any DELPHI add-in (as we have in WR).

Now, calling WR scripts from QTP is one thing, I will not be looking towards.

3. TestComplete - I need to evaluate this tool. But if someone has already used this, then leveraging that will be much more easier and effective in analysing whether this is the tool which we need to use.

Robert: Many thanks for the superb inputs.

I think, I'll install TestComplete and then check how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am in the exact same boat in looking for a tool to test Delphi.
    What about the IBM tools like Rational Robot or Rational Functional Tester, do they work with delphi?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

nah just found out that they only support up to Delphi version 7. Although they said it 'could' work with newer versions, but is not supported.

HP/Mercury Winrunner does have a Delphi plugin, and they are to release a Delphi plugin for QTP in may... apparently.. Winrunner comes with QTP so when you buy a license you can use Winrunner until the plugin is released for QTP.

Although i think i will check out TestComplete for now. I havent heard of it before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm using WinTask for a delphi app. I bet every app is going to have it's quirks on what it recognizes and what it can do. And I'd go with Ann, but say "most" will work to varing degrees. I haven't compared WinTask to any real "high dollar" tools for this app, but I have tried a few low cost tools and wintask was the best I found.
    Cheers,
    B^2

"Imagination is more valuable than knowledge." (AE)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd just like to mention that our tool, Eggplant, works a bit differently than other tools. Because it automates through the actual user interface (exactly the way a user interacts with your software) it can test software written in any version of any language on any operating system.

So you never have to worry about whether it will support the latest version (or any version!) of any particular development language or tool. If you'd like a tool that has the flexibility to work Delphi and pretty much anything else, you may want to take a look.
    Doug Simons, Principal Developer
    TestPlant, makers of eggPlant, the Cross-Platform GUI Testing Tool
    http://www.testplant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IBM Rational Robot is a good option. Its good comes complete with a delphi test enabler and can recognise most if not all Delphi application objects. You can download and evaluate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast