Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automated test case or data generators

Do you all know of any existing technologies that generate test cases from manual test case documents?

Also, what is the greatest technology out there for data generators?

Feedback would be appreciated.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automated test case or data generators

FileAid/CS from Compuware is a dandy tool to generate test data. It is especially useful where I am (health care) where there are all sorts of HIPAA laws regarding protected information.

There are probably others, but that is the one I am familiar with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks DSquared, that's useful for test data generation. I'll look into it.

For test case generation I have seen technologies based on models, such as Rhapsody, which allow for automated test case script generation based on model information. However, I am wondering whether there are other technologies available or being used to generate test scripts from documents outside of models or uml, etc.

Anyone aware of non-model or uml driven technologies available to generate test scripts from documentation?

Thanks,
    M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have to ask a dumb question. If you already have the documentation, aren't you already at or very near a test script anyway? If that is the case, aren't we just talking reformatting of existing data?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry, I wasn't clear: Test Script = automated test script, a script that can then be run automatically after conversion.
    I am wondering if there are currently any technologies out there that allow for parsing of manual test case documentation and then generate some type of test code (script).

Thanks,
    M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What it sounds like you're talking about, M, is Keyword Driven Testing. There's plenty of documentation on it but, essentially, that's what it does. It takes a formatted manual test case (formatted meaning that there is some standardization in how the tests appear) and reads "keywords" into an automated framework that interprets those keywords into different coded steps for execution.

I'm not entirely certain that there is an "off the shelf" piece of technology out there that will do this. The reason being is that no two people write their test cases in exactly the same way so to tell an automation system "read this file", it still would need to know what it is looking for and what to do once it finds a step to execute.

Various automated tools allow you to write your own framework to read your keyword documentation and execute tests. We use TestComplete in our environment and we read information in from a set of CSV files. Other people have used other applications to read either from an SQL database, a TXT file, or an Excel spreadsheet.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just FYI...another free Data Generator was developed by one of the members of this board (although I don't know if they're still active). Benjamin Keen developed a Data Generator that is available online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    What it sounds like you're talking about, M, is Keyword Driven Testing. There's plenty of documentation on it but, essentially, that's what it does. It takes a formatted manual test case (formatted meaning that there is some standardization in how the tests appear) and reads "keywords" into an automated framework that interprets those keywords into different coded steps for execution.

I'm not entirely certain that there is an "off the shelf" piece of technology out there that will do this. The reason being is that no two people write their test cases in exactly the same way so to tell an automation system "read this file", it still would need to know what it is looking for and what to do once it finds a step to execute.

Various automated tools allow you to write your own framework to read your keyword documentation and execute tests. We use TestComplete in our environment and we read information in from a set of CSV files. Other people have used other applications to read either from an SQL database, a TXT file, or an Excel spreadsheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Robert, but keyword driven testing is exactly what I am trying to avoid, it's much too cumbersome and time consuming. I am also not a fan of modeling, so I was wondering if there are other technologies available anyone knows off.

Thanks,
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Just FYI...another free Data Generator was developed by one of the members of this board (although I don't know if they're still active). Benjamin Keen developed a Data Generator that is available online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Damian.
    This Data Generator looks very promising.
    Much appreciated.

M.