Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scripting and Automated Testing

I am investigating web based script building testing software tools. I need to perform extensive manual test filings and then repeat the exact filing a multiple of times. It would be nice to be able to build a library of test cases and potentially edit the scripts so that I could stack a choice of scripts to be submitted as a single filing. Another option would be to be able to edit selected variables for submittal or interactively have the script stop and prompt for the variables. If anyone would like additional information or if the forum I selected is incorrect - please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Scripting and Automated Testing

Dave,

Do you have a question?

What you are looking to do is very reasonable, and can be accomplished with just about any of the tools you see mentioned here at SQAForums.com.

If you browse around a bit, you'll see lots of similar requests for "what is a good tool to do...".

You will also see the kinds of specifics (technology used, budget, technical competence, etc) needed to get a more specific answer.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Joe - my question is what tool(s) will allow me to automate and edit scripts that also track mouse position x, y & z (click)? The application is:

A web based, forms driven, state operated application submittal program that includes business, professional and legal submittals utilizing an on line payment processor for fee payment. Clients are allowed to also fax - in or walk - in their applications. There are some out of boundary data verifications in the application forms, but most of these are unsophisticated checks. All applications (on line, walk-in or fax) require a review/approval and as such very little bad data slips through the cracks. The software application has been developed, tested and is in production.

The current development mentality is “developers write the code, test and verify all modules and interfaces – Users review the application submittal process and sign off (UAT) on the application “enhancement” or code change. The depth and breadth of their testing is limited since the users are expected to test functionality and access that they do not use. There is no regression testing nor are there any checks of the data base for the accuracy of the input. There have been discussions regarding the need for automated testing tools but only in the sense of removing human error from repetitive filings. The good news is there is a duplicate complete model office platform with separate servers and data base. We can there for challenge the cloned system without the fear of impacting production.

A current need is a black box testing software application that builds a script from an on line filing, essentially capturing key strokes for play back at a future time. To test the on line system from end to end the tester, using their browser, enters the web site, selects a filing, data enters information in a form, submits (in some instances) the filing for payment (test payment information) and receives a transaction confirmation page with a transaction ID identifying a successful filing. This is a comprehensive one time manual filing, however if the complete filing can be printed this document can be used as a test for walk-in/fax-in filings. If the transaction can be captured as a script, then the exact process and data values can be resubmitted in a cloned / slightly modified system with a comparative analysis of the two data base entries mapped by the two transaction ID’s. Furthermore, if an error is found the exact filing can easily be resubmitted a multiple of times. As time and software changes evolve, these scripts can be utilized as a library of filing types for regression testing.

Some specifics for the script builder:
    a. The scripts must be “nameable” relative to their function - i.e. Annual Report, Non Profit, Certified Copy etc.
    b. The scripts must be editable – i.e. Stack the following scripts from the script library Annual Report, Non Profit, Certified Copy.
    c. The scripts should allow user real time data entry of filing variables – i.e. for an update to an existing filing the filer must enter a user id and password for the filing to be complete and test payment information must be inserted. A second option is the ability to manually highlight certain data elements in the script to allow ease to edit the script (b above).
    d. The ability to either add non executable script data/commands to a script or build an associated text file to the script library to allow testing information to be linked to each script – Help future users of the script testing procedures.
    e. The real time testing environment is Windows XP with networking using Internet Explorer.
    f. Need to track mouse movement (x y z) or the ability to hash directly to a location on the form and click

A test copy of any software is a necessity with any licensing and special additional software information provided in advance of any trial information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dave,

I think you'll see, as you browse the forums here, that almost all of the commercially available test automation tools, as well as the free and open-source tools, can do what you are asking.

For example, I use WinTask every day for my test automation.

I don't see anything in your posts that I couldn't accomplish with WinTask.

The same is true of most other tools mentioned here at SQAForums.

Best of luck.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm working on a list of "Cheap" rec/playback tools, and I'm keeping it in this forum. The thing is, the list is for windows apps. I believe they all work on web apps, but maybe not. As Joe said, there's a bunch of topic on this site that pertain to you question and from what I've read, selenium is the best web one that free. I haven't used it though so...
    Cheers,
    B^2

"Imagination is more valuable than knowledge." (AE)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Joe , Thanks for your help. I will Start with WinTask and move out to others.

dave fisher

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For web testing, if you don't care about the web ui, you could also use HTTP/HTTPS request/response automation to test the server side functionality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    my question is what tool(s) will allow me to automate and edit scripts that also track mouse position x, y & z (click)?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    ...essentially capturing key strokes for play back at a future time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave,

As already mentioned most commercial and some open source tools will meet these requirements. However, you might be well advised to search this forum for discussions relating to use of record/playback techniques for regression testing, which is essentially what you are talking about here.

While these techniques can and do work, they often result in a very fragile solution, that can come crashing down around you at the most inoppotune moment. For example, if you are recording X,Y clicks, and you change the resolution of the display, your scripts are unlikely to play back correctly. Similarly if you move from XP to Vista, or from one browser to another, minor changes in the GUI can break your scripts. Same thing if the developer inserts some extra controls into a form, moving other controls.

Once you are aware of these potential time bombs when you do your tool evaluation, and plan your test strategy accordingly, this becomes less of a problem. Just beware of the tools sales person selling you test automation 'silver bullets'. Spending a couple of bucks to buy in some automation expertise, if only to get you started, IMO is a smart investment.

Best regards,

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For regression and testing in agile projects of web, I use Selenium Core or RC.

I keep track of results using this tool. "Bromine"

http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/Bromine Open source

You make sure your test post the results to your bromine installation. In there you can get the big picture of how your test is going.