Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to verify the file opened in PDF or Excel from

Hello,

I need to automate the following test cases:

1. Open PDF or Excel files from web application in their native application. Verify the file content and close the PDF/Excel file.

2. Download file from web application, no web download dialog is open. Enter the file name and click OK to download the file.

Any suggestions or recommendations for testing tool that can be used for this kind of testing?

Thank you for your help!
    Kui

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to verify the file opened in PDF or Excel from

Kui,

Have you tried any test automation tools yet?

Depending on what you mean by "verify the file content", lots of tools could automate that scenario.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One way I did it in the past was to use what was then called OLE. It's now called automation. Using some programming environment you use the automation capabilities within the application itself to navigate around and check values. I used Robot but many others, even scripting in MS Office applications would do it. (Test tools are better.)

Another way I've done this kind of check is to export the values to a bland file type, like CSV or Text, and then do a file compare with a known benchmark. It's quick and dirty but all I needed at the time was a verification of the output values and not any formatting.

MArk B.
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to verify the file opened in PDF or Excel

Thanks Mark. The info is useful.
    Best Regards,
    Venkat Reddy Chintalapudi,
    http://venkatreddy.in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the valuable information!

I am using selenium RC testing tool writing in JAVA to automate the test cases. I can automate everything in the browser. But once the no web Download file window is open, or view file open in Word/Excel, I could not do anything with these windows. I need to do the followings with these windows:

Enter the file name to download and click OK

Make sure the PDF window is open, verify text in the PDF file, and close the file

Make sure the Excel window is open, verify data in the worksheet, and close the file

Mark, you mentioned that can be down using scripting in MS Office applications, is the script in VB script? So, the script can be called from my Java selenium test?

Any suggestions for good website with OLE or other tools tutorial or examples?

Thank you! Really appreciate your help!
    Kui

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to verify the file opened in PDF or Excel

I'm also interested in this. We're testing dynamic PDF forms, and are looking for a way to verify visually how data appears on the form in Acrobat Reader or Professional.
    I used to do something similar with web forms using graphical "verification" points in Rational Robot.

At my current position, we're using QuickTest Pro 9, with which I'm not that familiar. A quick experiment showed that it will open the forms, fill them out in Acrobat, and play that back; but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to compare the actual result to the desired result. QTP just seems to want to take a picture of the whole page, but I can't figure out how to get more specific information out of it.

Are there any good tutorials on this kind of automation with QTP available anywhere?

Thanks,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hello,

I want to write condion in such a way that if the file-> open option is enabled then open the file else close application in Rational Visual test 8.2
    how do I write this script??