Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Evaluating test tool. Any insight to Compuware?

Hello,

I am evaluating test tools, in particular test repository and test execution tools. Currently on my plate is Compuware QA Portal. Does anyone have any insights to this tool? I find that if used by it self, it can be a bit out of place. I think it is meant to be used as a suite of their entire application.

I would appreciate any insights. Thanks.
    -Suman
    Suman Coolness Reza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Evaluating test tool. Any insight to Compuware?

I guess by not knowing the question, I probably don't know the answer. I use Compuware TestPartner, but not exactly sure what QA Portal is. I was looking on Compuware's website and did some searches for QA Portal and not seeing it.
    Richard DeMers
    QA Software Tester
    http://www.marchforbabies.org/rdemers25

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry, it is 'QA Center' that I am evaluating. Any insights would be very helpful. I have learnt that test cases are not versioned in this application. Can anyone confirm this?
    Suman Coolness Reza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Scripts are versioned, but I think you are correct about the test cases, but I only evaluated the QA Center as well and we decided just to go with TestPartner, mainly because of cost and that I could create reports just as good as QA Centers.

We are currently putting all test cases in a wiki page (web page).

I've been trying to see if OSRMT will work as a TestCase Repository, but I installed it asked some questions and haven't gotten back to it.
    Richard DeMers
    QA Software Tester
    http://www.marchforbabies.org/rdemers25

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QACenter is, as you said, a suite. It is not a single tool. QAPortal, by itself, won't do much for you unless you use the other tools that go along with it.

I'll give you the (very) brief overview.

QAPortal is essentially a "view" into the state of QA. It takes input from QADirector, Reconcile, TrackRecord, and if you use them, TestPartner and/or QALoad, and will give you various reports.

QADirector is the piece that you use to organize and maintain your tests scenarios, suites, etc.

Reconcile is the piece that you use to organize and maintain requirements.

TrackRecord is the piece that you use to organize and track/resolve defects, issues, etc

TestPartner is the GUI automation tool.

QALoad is the performance testing tool.

Where QAPortal gives an advantage over "roll your own" reports is that it is real-time versus snapshot data.