Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Multi-Instance GUI Testing

Our company needs a testing tool that could run multiple scripts simultaneously.

Currently we have a number of C# scripts recorded with TestComplete, which does not let us run multiple instances. So we are in need for some other tool that would do the job.

Any suggestions are welcome,
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Multi-Instance GUI Testing

I don't have an answer on your question, but I'm curious and would like to know why you need multiple scripts running simultaneously?

Can't a single test script that switches between different GUIs do the same? The tools are very fast in doing this...
    With a mix between keyword- and data-driven approach the "simulation" of running multiple scripts (within a single script) might be possible (and maintainable).

Regards,
    Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by problem:
    Our company needs a testing tool that could run multiple scripts simultaneously.

Currently we have a number of C# scripts recorded with TestComplete, which does not let us run multiple instances. So we are in need for some other tool that would do the job.

Thank you.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Couldn't you just purchase two licenses of TestComplete, and run them on two separate machines?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SilkTest supports distributed testing of applications across multiple PCs, and testing pf multiple applications simultaneously.
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Joe Strazzere:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Originally posted by problem:

Thank you.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Couldn't you just purchase two licenses of TestComplete, and run them on two separate machines? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">You don't even need to do this. TestComplete comes with TestExecute to allow you to execute your tests on more than one machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To bru,
    I was just thinking about the same thing that you suggested, about having one script switch between different GUIs. I'm going to look into that.
    Originally we planned to write scripts and while running one script keep incrementing 'users' to test the system (Visual Studio had LoadTesting tool is a good example of this). Unofrtunatelly that did not work out.

To smacl,
    TestExecute works just like TestComplete - no multiple instances on one machine, which is my problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What type of testing are you trying to do?

At first it sounded like you wanted to functional/regression test an application with several instances at once, but in your last description it sounds like you want to conduct performance/load/stress type testing.

The tool recommendations may be different based on the type of testing you want to conduct.

Mercury: LoadRunner
    Compuware: QALoad
    Segue: Silk Performer

These are all performance testing tools that can be running a script on a series of test boxes and then you can "Increment users to test the system."

What is your testing goal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Problem,

When the help here gets to a solution, will you be changing your handle from problem to "no problem"? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Nanook:
    ... it sounds like you want to conduct performance/load/stress type testing...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Yes, i'm doing testing described above. And it's goal is to test the server using clients.
    Using front end oracle application to 'test' the back end.

Nanook, thank you for suggestions. I cannot use Mercury, but shall look into others.

Originally posted by JakeBrake:

When the help here gets to a solution, will you be changing your handle from problem to "no problem"? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">JakeBrake, when i get a solution i'll change my name to "happy and relaxed" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@"happy and relaxed" (assuming that you'll soon have to change your name [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ):
    TestComplete has a "Load Testing-Add On". If you're already using TestComplete, this might be a choice for you...

Regards,
    Juergen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast