Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP vs WinRunner vs SilkTest?

Hi everyone,

I'm a QA tester with 6 years of experience that wants to make the big jump into automation. I was going to throw down a lot of money to try and get some training to add to my skillset but I'm having a problem in which route to go.I want to know if I could get some input from QA professionals (you guys and gals) that use Automation.

- Which Automation Tool would be the best to dedicate my time and learn?

- What are the Pros and Cons between QTP, WinRunner and Silk?

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,
    - Rod
    Its always easier to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP vs WinRunner vs SilkTest?

I would do some research in the job market that I planned to work in and see what employers are looking for - no point in training in a good tool if the local employers are not using it
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rod,

I would also research various open source tools and automated testing using Ruby and Python. Here in the Pacific Northwest and in western Canada, 80% of the QA job postings list Ruby, Python, Perl, and open source tools as required or nice-to-have skills.
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my opinion, learn a development language, any language. Get the procedures down and write programs for your own use for a while. Then go after a job in automation. At that point you can learn the tool of choice from you new employer.
    Rather than learning a specific tool, which is usually quite costly, take a class from your local college or trade school in "C", "C++", "PERL", Or even VB. Any language will help you when it's time to get a job.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lynne is absolutely right... when I worked in the Bay area (CA), Segue's Silktest was popular. However having moved to the mid-west I find that the tool of choice is QTP. Check with recruiters, sift through job postings - that'll give you a pattern.

I think Rich's advice on picking up a prog language is sound. I cant afford Mercury's training, so decided that I'd start with learning VBScript (in which QTP's written) and see where that takes me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The issue with learning a development language rather than a test tool (which may have the language built in) is the focus if you learn say VB the emphasis will be on creating an application rather than testing the application. This may sound like a small thing but it isn't. I'm speaking from experience too having completed A computing Degree to postgraduate level with Java, Small Talk, C and VB (as well as developing apps). The development emphasis will be on creating say a GUI screen and then activating the application to maybe read from a database and then display the results on the screen and the formatting of those results. With the tools it's looking at a spec and see what the application should be doing and using the tool to check this.
    A good approach mentioned here is to get the trial versions and use these QTP, Testcomplete, etc.
    The Test Force is strong in this one

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    If you want to learn Automation, You should have some programming experience or able to set logic for the given pbm.

QTP, Silktest and Winrunner are having their own scripting techniques. QTP scripting - VB script, Silktest (4test) - Mixed of VB and C++, Winrunner(tsl)-similar to C. It is like how we have different programming languages VB,Java,VC++, Perl. If you know any one tool or scripting, you can learn others very easily. Also you should understand the automation concepts.

Automation concepts means the tophics like Object identification, Object recognization, Class Mapping , Custom objects, etc.. These concepts are available in the above mentioned tools in different terms... All above tools are specific to Windows OS and easy to learn in short period (less than one month).

If you learn Perl/Ruby/Tcl/Python, you can use those scripts for Windows, Unix & Linux platforms. But the learning curve will be high here. These scripting tools are used as CLI (Command Line Interface) tools. Most of these scripts will be running at the backend...
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i aggred with all others, just wants to add couple of things with my nothihg experince,
    Which thing is con or pro is depends most of the time what you wants to do with that tool say simplicity is some time required and some time the tool should be able to dig down in the code,
    other thing is how much are you aware of the tool, people can do any thing from any of these tools or any other just they are expert of the tool and they know what to do more importantly how...
    Regrds,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i found these paper very useful might help you as well,
    Automated Test Tools Comparison, By Ray Robinson.
    http://www.qadownloads.com/cgi-bin/d...ump.cgi?ID=198

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First QTP and WinRunner are written by same company. WinRunner is more of a legacy situation and should only be used when there is no way to use QTP. As between QTP and Silk, that is more a personal issue and possibly the bottom line. QTP is the easier one to learn as it is based on VB.
    mdashef