Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Software design consideration for automation

My very limited experience of automated testing has taught me that a by following a few key design or coding standards during client development, automated testing can be made much much easier.

I've tried googling and this forum, but to no avail as yet. I would like to compile a wish list of these design/code considerations, but don't have the knowledge or experience to do it.

I would be very interested in either:

a) any book, article or information source that you could point me in

or

b) your own wish list of items that could have made your life easier.

I'm interested in both Web and PC Application testing.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software design consideration for automation

My wish list contains the following

1. Standardize the formats of Ini and test files so that the layout is always predictable, If one release says aaa=B+C and the next release says aaa = B + C, then the spaces can cause issues.

2. Don't move objects around on the screen and use only standard objects, no custom or 3rd party objects requiring us to develop work-a-rounds for them.

3. Standardize object names and insure they are identifiable and don't spawn no pages without names or with the same name as the spawning page.

4. Standardize file names and DLL names as to what they pertain to.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software design consideration for automation

Hi MrB,

I wrote a paper on this recently entitled 'Test Automation as a Development Requirement'. It was published in the March 2005 issue of 'Professional Tester' magazine. The article is available for download from:
    http://www.odin.co.uk/downloads

Sam