Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automation Implementation Project Plan

Hi All,
    I'm tasked with the daunting task of automation tool research and implementation. I have found TONS of great information here....much thanks to the Members & Gurus!
    I have found several tool comparisons and they have been helpful but does anyone have an MS project plan that they've used or a template they can share? It would help so much to keep the tasks organized.
    Thanks a bunch!
    C~

Avatar courtesy of the DOW Chemical Company: http://www.dow.com/Hu/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automation Implementation Project Plan

Hi Certed,
    I am a tech writer managing a test tool procurement. My project plan includes:
    scope, business problem with current practices and "pain points" of manual testing, project goal, executive sponsor, team membership, communications plan (internal/external), schedule of key dates, costs/benefits of automated testing, vendor references, budget, and high-level requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Techwriter,
    This is good stuff--Thank you!
    Are you tracking these items as tasks and milestones in Microsoft Project?
    C~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have whittled it down to QTP and TestComplete and I'm ready to talk proof of concept and $$$ now. Out of the box, I'm leaning toward TestComplete because it bourne on .NET.
    I strongly believe (now) these tasks should be tracked in a MS Project plan from research all the way through to a test run of your first script.
    I can see from all of the conversation on the forum that tons of people are going through the same pains so I am surprised that no one is tracking this type of project in that manner. This is my first time doing this so I hoped those that went before me would have a template to share...ignorance is not bliss in my book [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    I am terrified of missing some building block that will cause my project to crumble. If I am the first to create a task managing project plan then so be it...I guess I will muddle through [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thank you for all of your invaluable information guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    C~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here's a cool site with the templates you might need to start with. I would send you mine, but it has propietary info on it, I just started here so I'd like to stay for a while [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the link: http://readyset.tigris.org/nonav/tem.../frameset.html

It's all about trial by fire Certed. It's hard to start it the right way, but if you do, less problems down the line.

Enjoy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When in doubt...knock it out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Certed,

I'm also doing the same thing your doing. After an exhaustive research, I've narrowed my automated tool research to the following tools:
    - Mercury's QuickTest Pro
    - Worksoft's Certify
    - AutomatedQA's TestComplete
    Since our budget is not that big, I want to make sure I select the right tool that would be a long-term solution. Worksoft's Certify is the most intriguing of all the tools I selected because it requires no scripting and it follows a Business Process Testing (BPT) approach. It doesn't follow the industry standard 'record and play' paradigm, plus, its feature-rich and 'on paper', it would seem that we'd use at least 75% of the features.

In terms of a project plan (QA Test Plan), mine is pretty simple and straightforward:

- Intro
    - Reponsibilities (testing and IT)
    - Testing Scope (very important)
    - Testing Methodology (includes: Test data/test scenarios, pass/fail criteria, Test and problem reporting, escalation and resolution)
    - Test Entrance and Exit Criteria
    - Deliverables (includes the timeline)
    - Appendix (includes test cases, scenarios, diagrams etc)

What drives a good QA Project Plan are good specs (I can't stress this enough), if the spec documentation is lacking, your QA Project Plan will be lacking too.

In regards to tracking the tasks and milestones with MS Project, thats a good idea. But make sure you identify dependencies...for instance, task 2 is dependent on task 1 and so forth and so on. This is how you determine the 'bottleneck'...and a lot of times, the root of the problem is development. So expect to butt heads with them...but be assertive.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When in doubt...knock it out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~