Thread: Automation book

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automation book

From your experience, what is the best book for automation? some of them if i looking at this site under the links tab at books links are rated very high but they are quite old (1999), so please help me and others, what is the preferable book?

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automation book

Originally posted by barfollow:
    From your experience, what is the best book for automation? some of them if i looking at this site under the links tab at books links are rated very high but they are quite old (1999), so please help me and others, what is the preferable book?

thanks in advance.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">It depends on what you are trying to learn from the book:

Do you already have a tool in mind?

If for example you want to use Winrunner (or QuickTestPro, or Robot, or any opensource testing tool, etc) and you want to come up to speed on using those tools, your best bet is to read vendor provided books or any related material to any of those tools.

If you want to see various case studies on how automated testing was implemented you could buy "Software Test Automation" by Dorothy Graham, et al

If you want to learn about the Automated Testing Life-cycle Methodology, i.e. how to introduce tools to your project, managing expectations, writing tool proposals, pitfalls, how automated testing fits into the software development life-cycle, etc. then you could buy "Automated Software Testing" by Elfriede Dustin, et al

If you want to build an automated testing tool, there is a book for that.

You might also want to start with the various white papers related to automated testing, available on stickyminds.

Again, it depends on what information you are trying to gather from the book.

What is it you are trying to accomplish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Mr. Elfriede,
    I'm at the initial state of the automation at our company. A tool was already been acquired. And even more a suite of scripts where also been automated but without any methodology behind (those scripts aren't reusable at all and more...)
    Iím new at the company, Iím leading the automation and the goal is to start and to establish a well done process. "Automated Software Testing" is a good book but how much is relevant? From 1999? Or maybe Iím wrong? Maybe there is some update or even other book that provide the same staff but newer?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Another thing I almost forgot:
    I think the main goal of mine of finding a good book is to find a good and effective way of working together as a team (7 automation developers).

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Barfollow,

Are you sure you need a book about test automation and not abou testing in general?
    I'd give you anyway my advices. Don't even try to find "best book", but try to find good books.

I have a few questions for you, also:
    What are you trying to automate?
    Which will be your priorities?
    What are the expectations of other teams/management?
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Daniel_S
    We are trying to automate CS product. Server (with a lot of different configurations) + 8 different client (not exactly different, there are common features that should be analyzed in order to create reusable actions/function and etc).

Priorities? We will start from the requirements phase which it mean "What we want from automation?"

Expectations - this automation should (at the end) to serve of course the QA team and R&D, Support and even our customers that doing some testing at their location. Mine manager (as opposed to my opinion) decided that he want to "Attack" the process from all the direction which it mean to perform a transverse development process. To do that and to succeed I think that we should to "Invest" at those initial stages.

Thanks.