Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Free Automated Testing Tools?

Hello All,
    I have been reading information about automated software testing tools but can't seem to find the automated testing tool we need.

We need to test our software which presently is growing very fast and the "once thru" testing of all functions is way too large. We would like to run very simple scripts (notepad) and have a record/playback regression feature. This isn't web based software either. I have searched www.handyarchive.com, www.google.com, etc and haven't been able to find something very easy to use or free. We would also like this tool to be used for GUI testing as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    QAwhat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Free Automated Testing Tools?

A couple of things to consider when you start. What are you primarily looking for a tool that is easy to use or a tool that is free? I am not indicating that those are necessarily mutually exclusive, but identifying your priority would help you to narrow the scope of your search.

The next suggestion is that you evaluate different software testing methodologies independent of any tools that you might be looking at. Specifically find out about record/playback methodologies (since that is what you indicated you want to do) and ensure that methodology would produce return for you and result in a stable and maintainable enviroment for your situation for the time necessary to show return and eliminate future rework.

After you have determined the method that you are going to use and tool priorities you may be more successful in seeking a tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hello,
    sorry for my poor english (i'm a french student). I'm looking for free automated testing tool too. I find some which seems to be intersting for me(as automatedQA or finalbuilder) but nothing free! maybe you can help me.
    thanks,
    the bear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a couple of philosophies as it relates to free.

One specifically as it relates to test tools is that someone who wants one for free (especially with that as the only stated criteria) probably doesn't have a good grasp of the economics of the situation and I don't want to enable that behavior.

The purchase price of a tool is generally a small part of the "cost" of owning (which includes using, maintaining and deploying) that tool. Generally something that is free is free for a reason, the reason is many times that you will have to expend extra resources to adapt your situation.

If you really want to most cost effectively deploy test automation, you need to develop evaluation criteria which include weighing tool capabilities as they pertain to your situation versus the cost of acquiring and using a tool over the timeframe of your deployment.

I will try to provide a simple example. For purpose of illustration, suppose there are two tools that you are evaluating, one costs 10k, the other is free. The 10k one has two features that you need that the free ones doesn't. You determine that with 160 hours of your effort, you can develop some utility that will enhance the "free" tool to provide one of those capabilities you need. The other one can't be obtained, but it only affects 10% of your tests and you will continue to do those manually. You will have four test cycles over the next six months each taking 100 hours to complete. To keep it simple, we will assume that in all other aspects the tools and situations are equal.

The last assumption is that you are a reasonable competent programmer (since you are going to develop something to add capabilities to the tool and are going to perform test automation which is after all software development. Given that, the minimum burdened cost for you is probably on the order of 100K/year).

The "cost" of the free tool is "Tool Cost" + "Cost to develop one of two capabilities" + "Cost to manually execute 10% of your tests four times". That is ($0 + $8000 + $2000) = 10K.

The "cost" of the "expensive test tool" is 10K.

In which situation are you better off? Rather conveniently the "costs" of these situations are equal at the end of this period. The one "hidden" cost that isn't accounted for is that with the "free" tool, you spent 160 hours developing a utility that you could have spent actually developing tests. That additional automation would improve the quality of your product, add test coverage and/or provide other benefits.

The point is to help you understand that you should perform a proper evaluation of your situation and really understand what the costs and benefits of your various options are.