Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Evaluating different Tools

Hi,

I' m a student apprentice (I' m studying informatics) for one month now and my job at the company is it to evaluate different testing-tools so that the company can decide which is the best for them and then maybe will buy one.

At the moment I'm evaluating Rational Robot, Mercury QTP and Segue SilkTest.

I would just like to know what are/were your first impressions of these tools? The 'look and feel', when you have used them first?
    I should say that I'm totally new to this topic, didn't have any experience in that before and also don't have a lot of progamming and technical knowledge.

Probably that's why I prefer QTP at the moment because it's absolutely the easiest one to learn, I think. It has the clearest build-up, the Keyword-View, the Active Screen (very useful!!) and an integrated Data Table. Also, you can easily insert Checkpoint.

Where are the disadvantages of QTP in addition to the other 2 (independent of supporting different environments and other technical things)??

How long did you need to evalute these tools or to get to know the basics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Evaluating different Tools

You can do an effective evaluation in a month, for three tools. You might even be able to lever vendors in to assist with this with a comparative evaluation to some of the applications used where you.

All the other questions have to many parameters and you run the risk of being swamped with multiple views that conflict, where there is some use in getting an understanding of other peoples experience, you need to balance that with how close it is to yours and the organisation you are in.

Try the advance search on this forum as there are a number of threads that have people comparing some of these tools and also on the processes for test tool evaluations.

I checked on the download section here and on the Grove website, www.grove.co.uk and there are some tool evaluation notes on both - though they may be slightly out of date and may not cover your explicit needs they may help your understanding and creation of an evaluation process that fits your requirements.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the answer. I have already thought that my questions have too many parameters..
    But I would just like to discuss with people who are at the same stadium like I' m. And I didn't find many things in the Forums about this stadium where I'm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

nmonty, using advanced search on test tool evaluation, I stopped after 120 posts were identified. They may or may not cover your specific case, but they might help guide you to a process, but then they might not.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi mmonty,

I also had to evaluate three different test tools for my exam. I evaluated QuickTest Professional, Rational Robot and Tespartner/QARun. In my opinion QuickTest Professional is really the easiest tool to use. It offers a lot of functionality and I was able to realize my tests very fast. The integrated Data Table and the Active Screen are very useful. I would like to know if you have made different experiences and if you now prefer another tool, since your first post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi studentFH,

no, my preference has not changed yet.
    Did you have to decide for one tool? And did you decide for QTP?
    At the moment I would so, because everything I tried is working.
    What are your experiences with the support and help docus?
    I find the help (UG, tutorial, language reference) at QTP much better than at Robot!!!
    You can find everything you need in it.
    The online support side of mercury is quite good, too. In contrast, rational's one is not very helpful (confusing, not very detailed)in my opinion.
    Did you have any programming skills before?
    Does QTP have any big disadvantages for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know you are answering these questions for exam purposes and so your outlook might be slightly different. However, the key differentiator for all these tools is how the work against your environment/application.
    By that I mean how easily and repeatably do the tools recognise and attach to the objects within your application.

Evaluating a toolset on the simplest scripting language and in built functionality can set you up for an inefficient and expensive test automation suite.
    You should look into the application, identify the most "complex" transactions you will want to automate (drop down lists, embedded tables) and find out which tool can recognise the control, extract data and reattach during script replay.
    Usability of the tool is not the key driver

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I wrote the exam for the company I work for and they want to introduce test automation. I tested the tools on a java- and an oracle based client server application. QTP works fine with both applications. With Testpartner I got some problems with the oracle forms objects and with QARun I have problems with some java objects.
    We did not finally decide which tool we will introduce. All the tools offer a lot of functionality and I think it is sometimes difficult to outweigh what cannot be realized with one tool or the other. With other words where are the limitations of the tool.
    In QTP the KeywordView is very useful and with the integrated data table it is very easy to introduce data-driven tests. The support at mercury was very good and I also have the User's Guide for QTP which is about 900 pages and I found everything that I need for my tests. I have some programming skills in C++ and Java.

@Tom Usability is not a key driver that is very clear. A key point is how fast can I realize my tests with all the functionality I need. A good usability reduces the time that I need to develop my scripts. The script language even offers a lot of possibilities, but as far as I can create my tests with the dialogs offered by the tool, it is okay for me. As we all know, programming takes a lot of time.
    Have you made experiences with these tools and if so which one do you prefer. I checked the tools with several controls in our application and QTP always works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

mmonty,

I used all 3 tools that you are evaluating. here are my thoughts about them.
    Rational is easy to use, as it is now IBM you might have a better support than the one I had before.
    Mercury QTP I have not used, but I used WinRunner and LoadRunner. I dislike their programming language, they are expensive and you have to purchase different drivers if you have exotic features/protocols. As it's very well known you might have an easier time finding testers knowing that tool.
    Segue SilkTest is powerful, the programming language is quite nice adn powerful. It's possible to manage different PCs directly from one master, so you can compare results from multiple PCs. Segue is a well known firm, not as big as IBM or Mercury, but the tool is good.

NOTE : the cost of the tools should be thought of in terms of annual costs (ie the maintenance costs are usually 30% of the licence costs), and you have to add the costs of creating the test scripts, debugging them and updating them as the GUI changes...

Regards
    BH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi mmonty,

just one hint that I forgot to mention. As I saw in your profile you are from Germany, too. There is a company which has made an experiment with automated test tools. It is the imbus AG. On their website they offer an Excel sheet with test tool requirements. Maybe it will help you to fill in the sheet with your experiences. It will also help you to present your results in your company. If you cannot find the document, send me an email and I will send it to you.
    There are also some reports on several test topics which I find very interesting, for example "How to automate tests of graphical user interfaces".

[ 11-23-2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: studentFH ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast