Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

New Methodology for automated tools

Hi to all
    I would like to have your opinion about the following methodology.

I used it with WinRunner but any leading tool will do the job.

I have managed to reduce development time from 1500 hours to only 150 hours, and to run one 250-TSL-lines script instaed of 4000 TSL-lines.

It goes like this:

I put all relevant data (objects, navigation, checkpoints/expected results, syncpoints) in files. Files are organized by business processes. I have one and only generic script which runs and execute the data within the files.

For example, if I want to check a business process for buying a stock, I put all the objects, organized by screens, in the files, along with all the checkpoints (expected results)and syncpoints. The script runs on this data and execute TSL lines accordingly. If the script encounters a push_button, It pushes it. If the script encounters a list box, it reads the appropriate value and assign it, and so on.

The file for the navigation looks like this:

Object_ID, Object_Type, Object_value
    --------- ----------- ------------
    Stock_Name, Edit_Box CHKP
    Yes Push_Button

Benefits
    ---------
    The script is extremely small (200-300 TSL lines)
    The script is extremely simple
    There is no need to maintain the script, just the data within the files
    You can run the same script for almost any business process on any application on any platform, becuase business logic is in the files rather the script itself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: New Methodology for automated tools

Sounds something like data-driven-testing. This kind of methodology works, if there is little change in functionality and the tests are data-intensive (lots of editfields and listboxes to fill in and check). So especially financial & administrative app's testing can benefit from this kind of method.
    Assumption is the mother of all f**l-ups

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    Almost it is equivalent to table driven methodology. You can go thro below links. It will be very much useful.

</font>
    1. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Totally Data driven testing</font>
    2. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Automation Frameworks</font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks.

I think that my methodology is similar but much easier to implement and understand.
    Do you have any experience with action words/TestFrame/keywords driven tests ?

Can you tell me some pros and cons regarding these methodologies ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"script encounters a push_button, It pushes it. "

Did you write a function to perform the action in TSL or any other language ?
    How much time did you invest in coding such functions and also designing your data files ?

You have mentioned that you have cut development time from 1500 hours to 150. Are you talking about maintenance time ?
    How much time did you invest in building such a system ? (including designing the framework and coding all the support functions)
    Which version of WinRunner are you using ?

I am in the process of setting up a similar process (which is nothing but "Keyword-driven Methodology". I would definitely be interested in sharing statistics/findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I believe this is the "Keyword Driven" framework.I have always found Data Driven frame work to be adequate.
    Data driven provides a more user friendly interface for non tool literate users.
    I just hand out the XL, with the headings, and say put in the values you want to see in these boxes.
    Automation will provide a report so you can check the results.
    (Everyone knows automation can not test it only does what you tell it you need to check the results(test))
    I never could understand why you need write a function to call a function.
    Object_ID, Object_Type, Object_value
    --------- ----------- ------------
    Stock_Name, Edit_Box CHKP
    Yes Push_Button
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What happens when the button name changes from Yes to OK?
    In WinRunner you might have to update a gui map and a script. 10 minutes tops.
    In Keyword you need to find all you files and update every instance.
    You might as well record and play back the maint effort seem to be the same. Rather than having hundreds of scripts (Files when all said and done) you have hundreds of files (Vertual scripts)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[QUOTE]Originally posted by qasleuth:
    [qb] "script encounters a push_button, It pushes it. "

I don't understand exactly what you mean by asking if I wrote a function to push the push_button - I used the TSL functions.
    I only wrote a simple script (250 TSL lines) to interpret the data in the Excel files.

I spent about 300 hours to develop the script and the data (Excel) files, but you have to understand that this is a generic script and a generic data model, and it's usable for almost any other application (You can send me an example of an AUT you want to test and I can show you how).

Cutting from 1500 hours to 150 hours is in development time. Of course that you also benefit from it in maintenance time.

The ABCD Methodology is similar to the keywords tests but is more simple and less complicated.
    Just ask yourself how many lines of code you are going to use, how many scripts and how much development time you are going to cut.

My answers are: about 250-300 LOC, 1 script for navigation, testing actual vs. expected, synchronizing and reporting). Development time is reduced by 50%-90%.

[ 06-27-2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: einavf ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not at all !

What is easier to do - maintain Excel files or maintain code lines ? - In the ABCD Methodology, you don't touch the code at all.

How much time do you need to build a navigation script for 1 business process with 3 screens and 30 objects ?
    The answer is that it will take you about 10 minutes.

In the ABCD Methodology you don't write a function to call another function. You have a generic script and it does all the work - navigation, testing expected results, synchronizing and reporting.

" What happens when the button name changes from Yes to OK?" - You run a Edit-Find-Replace and change it in 1 minute, with no errors and no leftovers !.

"In WinRunner you might have to update a gui map and a script. 10 minutes tops". That's not so accurate - When a name of a button is changed, you don't have to change the Gui_Map, because it's physical description has not been changed. But if the button itself has been changed, you have to change it in any intance of it in many scripts (and not in 1 script like you say).

"In Keyword you need to find all you files and update every instance." - No !. With ABCD, you just need to change it in 1 data file.

Record and Playback never works for the long distance. Also, with ABCD you have only 2 files and not hunderds of files. One file is for the navigation data and one is for the expected results and synchronization. Thus, if you have 200 business processes to test, you have 200 rows of Excel, instead of 4000 LOC in 200 scripts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In the example I was indicating that an application change occurred requiring a related update.

"In WinRunner you might have to update a gui map and a script. 10 minutes tops". That's not so accurate - When a name of a button is changed, you don't have to change the Gui_Map, because it's physical description has not been changed. But if the button itself has been changed, you have to change it in any intance of it in many scripts (and not in 1 script like you say).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">When I say one script I mean one script. Each object in an application occurs only once in my scripting.

What is easier to do - maintain Excel files or maintain code lines ? - In the ABCD Methodology, you don't touch the code at all.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Maintain code lines. The XLs are maintained by the testers and or the customer.
    The only reason to touch the code is for AUT changes and the only reason to touch the XL is to add any new fields the app might require.
    I tend to code to handle null fields so all the data stores can usually be reused with the new builds.

The code also looks for the release it is running under, as we tend to test the new systest while the UAT test is still running for the previous build, so same script same XL will run on several releases of the interface and underlying AUT with no change at all.

It still looks like your file is a de facto script and you have just shifted a methodology from WR to XL

[ 06-28-2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: k1w1 ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keith Zambelich white paper is a good read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast