I've been searching thru this forum for about an hour and couldn't find an answer to my question, so I maybe double posting....

I'm looking for alternate ways to automate regression tests for a windows application using scripting languages. What I have done before (and all i have done) is wrap C/C++ code using a wrapper generator (SWIG) and link the modules into tcl/python/perl. Now I can control all the underlying methods with my scripting language. If my application has a print button, I can use the script to call the print method, without someone actually pressing that button.

As I said before, using SWIG to generate the wrapper code is the only way I can think of doing it. It works reasonably well. It's quite time consuming though because a print method may not be as simple as one method. You can have 10 things you have to do before actually printing. Thus, you would need to tidy things up in an API for SWIG to wrap. Also, getting SWIG to generate the wrappers without running into errors is a mystery in itself.

Does anyone know of any other methods or ways to make C/C++ methods available to tcl/perl/python and do the things I mentioned above?

For those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about (SWIG), here is an example of wrapping C code (OpenGL) and using it in Tcl. It's not for testing, but its great for prototyping graphics.

Thanks a lot everyone