Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Testing for Progress Applications

I am looking for automated test tools that work in a Progress environment. Does anyone have any insigt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Testing for Progress Applications

Debbie,

I recently performed a Proof of Concept against a Progress application using Compuware's TestPartner. Overall, TestPartner worked quite well against this particular application. We were able to a limited number of properties on each control, the properties were each unique and did not change over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SilkTest and WinRunner works quite well also.
    My feeling about Progress applications is that you won't see huge differences between automated test tools. The problems come from Progress, as far Progress doesn't send statical ID.
    What you must look (and what I look) is if the testing tool allows you to do more things that only record/playback. For example, write tests scripts programmatically.
    About these kind of criteria, you'll see some differences between tools.

Hope this help!

Arnaud
    Thanks & Regards
    Arnaud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi I have recently finished Proof of Concept on Test Partner, had very few problems with Progress Applications we were using Progress 8.3 and 9.1D, Thought I would have problems recognising edit boxes and buttons but found a few properties that were unique and set these in the object map.

Overall it was rather painless and you can also do things programmatically using VBA.