Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Learning Automated Tools

I have noticed that many advertisements for QA positions say that they want a person with experience using some or any of the big automation applications (Visual Test, Rational, Silktest, Winrunner, etc). I have never used any of these applications. At my current position we have created our own automated suites using WSH, javascript, VB, and VBscript.

If I have skills with these languages and good knowledge of testing methodology, is it worth taking a class on any of the applications listed above? Taking classes are always a good thing, but I'm wondering if the applications are intuitive enough to learn without spending $$$ on a 3 day class.

Thanks.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Learning Automated Tools

VT,Winrunner,SilkTest and Robot are UI testing tools. I don't think so, you can use WSH,VB and java script for UI Automation.

If you have some programming and testing knowledge, you can learn any tool quickly (within 1-2 weeks). If you want to be a expertise on that you should work at least 6 months on the same tool. VT and Robot scripting is similar to VB or VBScript. Winrunner scripting is 'C' style. Silk test scripting is slightly diff from VB.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by tmpalaniselvam:
    I don't think so, you can use WSH,VB and java script for UI Automation.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">QuickTestPro is based on vba script and I use another tool called Testsmith that creates a java class from your recording. Compile it and run it and it will run your test like anu tool does. The only drawback is it's limited reporting.
    I'm still under development.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by blapinski:
    At my current position we have created our own automated suites using WSH, javascript, VB, and VBscript.

If I have skills with these languages and good knowledge of testing methodology, is it worth taking a class on any of the applications listed above?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">If you have the ability to create automated suites using WSH, javascript, VB and VBscript, I suspect you'll have little difficulty in learning most of the commercially-available tools.

If you have just executed (but not created) such suites, then you may have a larger learning curve.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Vendor Post
    -----------
    Originally posted by azeus:
    ...and I use another tool called Testsmith that creates a java class from your recording. Compile it and run it and it will run your test like anu tool does. The only drawback is it's limited reporting.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">azeus, we'd be interested in hearing further on the 'limited reporting' issue.
    TestSmith is still in beta and user feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks (and apologies if this message is perceived as inappropriate to this discussion).
    Smith, beta{AT}qualityforge{DOT}com