Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

alternative to rational robot

Hi,
    I am looking for a software for testing oracle forms. Our application is fairly small and used internal to the company. So I was wondering if there is any free software available for testing oracle forms?

Thanks,
    JRamachandran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: alternative to rational robot

You may be able to find a free macro recorder which can automate your application, rather than a full-featured test tool. (Go to Google and search for terms like "free macro recorder".)

I suspect finding a free test tool which can recognize objects in Oracle Forms will be difficult.

Have you asked the folks at Oracle what they use?

Best of luck,
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by qaseek:
    Must be definitely better than doing it manually.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Maybe, but not always. Make sure you know what you want to do with the tool, and how much effort it will take.

A long time ago, I worked for a company that had an IBM connection. At the time, IBM had an extremely crude test automation tool for OS/2 (I forget the name now). We could get the tool for free. I investigated, and determined that it would take more time to create the scripts and maintain them than it would take to do the testing manually - even over the long haul.

Fortunately, I was able to obtain a Beta version of some test automation software from a smaller company that allowed me to avoid this IBM product. This new tool wasn't free, but was much more economical in the long run.

If I could not have gotten the new tool, I would have recommeneded that we test manually.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Joe Strazzere:
    ...At the time, IBM had an extremely crude test automation tool for OS/2 (I forget the name now).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Joe - showing my age (you know me), the tool you talk of was called "WITT". If memory serves me correctly it stood for "Windowing Interface Testing Tool". Yeah I looked at it too, because where I was at had ties to IBM on an OS/2 project (you know which one) also. I came to the same conclusion; WITT was NOT! (or POS to be frank). Fortunately there was that other OS/2 test tool (ya know which one).

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I found a couple of tools in google and am going to try using it. Must be definitely better than doing it manually.

Thanks,
    JRamachandran.