Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How much "white" is allowed in black box testing?

I had a discussion with my colleague yesterday and now want to know your opinion:

We are testing Java applications using WinRunner. I had to check cell data displayed in a table, where some columns contain images. To make the test more maintainable I tried to read the underlying data objects (which is no problem when testing Java applications) and check these values instead of the bitmaps. For example there's a column that displays numbers from 1 to 7 (displayed as image). The Java object contains an attribute that contains this number (as integer).

For me it would be enough to check this integer value, but my colleague argued that possibly the wrong image would be loaded and I wouldn't find this bug.

Of course he's right, but I think we have to make a trade-off between maintainance effort (which is usually higher when doing bitmap checks) and the likelihood that there could occur a bug in this untested gap.

Personally I like getting data from the underlying Java objects and use them for my black box testing (because it often makes my job easier - e.g. when testing an analog bar or fields that contain images), but it leaves a little space for bugs ...

How "white" (or "black") is your black box testing?

Thanks!
    Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How much "white" is allowed in black box testing?

Originally posted by bru:
    ... Personally I like getting data from the underlying Java objects and use them for my black box testing (because it often makes my job easier - e.g. when testing an analog bar or fields that contain images), but it leaves a little space for bugs ...

How "white" (or "black") is your black box testing?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">White, shmite. There's always going to be a little space for bugs because some of them are so dam..ed tiny.

Why not just ask the object for its image name and use that to determine if the graphic is correct? If need be, you could pre-extract all of a Java application's images from it jar files to establish a comparison baseline. During a test run, grab the image name, file-compare with the baseline and move on.

Of course, this leaves a smaller probability that the image was corrupted during presentation, but that is mostly a Java-driver concern that a manual tester will catch. If that becomes an issue, have your colleague show you his/her test suites to verify the entire JRE
    AND the underlying operating system upon which that JRE is running. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John