Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scenario Tester ??? true testing tool or user interface

I would like to ask the group to provide input on this product. I was at a QA seminar recently in Toronto and this group presented. During the presentation there was a reference to working with either QARun and or WinRunner as an interface for users to input their test data to be driven by scripts developed in either tool.

Your insight and commentary would be appreciated prior to furhter comment from myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Scenario Tester ??? true testing tool or user interface

1) The tools are so expensive, do you want to buy another set of seats to use simply as a GUI for data input?

2) The technical knowledge of users varies, of course, but think of it this way.
    If you're having an operation, would you want your surgeon to give you the scalpel and tell you to get started with the cutting?

So I vote no - don't give these tools to users even for simple data input. If the transmission of the data to the automated tool is the issue, set up an Excel spread sheet for them.

------------------
    -- Jean

You know your medical benefits are being reduced when you have to bring your own jumper cables to the cardiac unit.
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Are you talking about populating databases for testing?

If you already have the tool, you could do it through the GUI interface using the 'data-driven' approach. I have done this before for a one-off case.

An easier method may be to use SQL and its associated languages e.g. PL/SQL.

------------------
    Cordialement
    Cordialement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for your input... I am not an advocate of 'Scenario Tester' I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or seen this tool.

This organization promotes itself as amking automated regression testing easier by providing testers with an interface to input there test cases. The interface then can be driven by a test tool to test (SO THEY SAY)

Then they turn around and offer their services to develope the engine to drive the data in the interface for you using Visual Basic so that you do not have to purchase a test tool.

If they approach your organization say thank you but no thank you.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Wow! I¡¦m glad someone brought up the name "ScenarioTester¡¨. "Scenario Tester" is actually a cool, user-friendly tool (great for non-technical testers). Believe it or not, I actually used it in my previous life (first for Y2K testing. After Y2K was over we used it for regression/data validation testing on a few mission critical applications). My ex-employer had a group of manual testers who knew nothing about automated testing. In order to automate the regression testing process, we decided to purchase Rational Robot, Test Manager, got a couple of testers to go on training, and hired a consultant to write the automated scripts for us. It turned out that this consultant was also the "co-creator" of ScenarioTester. He decided to use us as the "prove of concept". He setup ScenarioTester for us and trained a couple of our team members (I was one of them) to write and maintain the automated regression scripts and Scenario Tester. He then trained the non-technical Testers and BA's on ScenarioTester. I knew the testers and BA's weren't intimidated by ScenarioTester because they were actually using the tool!!! ScenarioTester implementation was a success because even now (4 years later... with a couple of upgrades I think), the test team and some of the BA are still using Scenario Tester for test designs and test data repository(for both automated testing and manual testing).

As I mentioned previously, this is a great tool for non-technical testers and/or BAs. They can maintain/modify the test data via GUI. They don't need to access the actual automated test scripts...I personally like this tool ... this is just my $0.02 worth... BTW. I do not work for ScenarioTester and I don¡¦t get paid for posting this comment

------------------
    bleung

[This message has been edited by bleung (edited 03-28-2003).]
    bleung