Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Free GUI test tool

Hi all,

Does anyone know a free (or cheap) GUI tests tools and bug trackers? I used to work with Mercury tools, but my current project is based on tight budget so we can't afford expensive tools

Thanks,
    Sagit

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Free GUI test tool

There is a very cheap macro tool in the form of Phantom Test Driver and Sidekick (www.phantomtest.com) which has rudimentary winrunneresque functionality in that it is a windows gui object scripting language with an abstration layer in terms of gui object definitions. It does have some rough edges though.

There is also a new tool in beta called eventcorder (http://www.volny.cz/eventcorder/eventcorder.htm) which I haven't really had enough time to play with to comment on in any way.

Then there is the bigger macro tool www.wintask.com which isn't really object based but can happily automate windows for you. WinTask is one of the supported tools for the performance testing suite by Scapa (www.scapatech.com)

And then there are the two cheaper test tools vermont high test (http://www.vtsoft.com/) and then
    testComplete (http://www.automatedqa.com/) (test complete allows you to use multiple scripting languages).

If you are interested in programming then you might want to have a look
    at the book "Visual Basic for Testers" which has a lot of good advice for automation or try learning Perl, or Ruby or Python.

As for Defect tracking, there really are too many to begin to list. There are many free php and perl browser based ones and there are lots of fairly basic shareware desktop ones.

A quick search on www.hotscripts.com on 'bug track' and 'defect track' turned up quite a few systems. Also you could look at bugzilla. (http://www.bugzilla.org/)

A quick search on www.download.com for 'defect track' came back with 31 matches (some of which I think I shall download and have a play with - thanks for asking

Unfortunately I haven't used any of the defect tracking tools so can't recommend of them, but many look very capable.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I wrote a survey of freeware defect tracking tools. It's part of the Open Testware Reviews subscription service, which you'd normally need to pay for, but I currently have it up (for the next month or two) as my free sample issue. See http://tejasconsulting.com/open-testware/sample.html.

I'll cover freeware GUI tools in a future issue. For Windows, the choice right now is simplistic macro tools and analog capture/replay tools, which aren't likely to be useful for serious GUI testing, and GUI scripting libraries, who do show some promise for testers who are strong programmers. One example is the Win32::GuiTest module for the Perl scripting language.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

CLR Script is also well worth a look. Eval is free and registration only about USD 25.00.
    www.clrsoftware.com

(I'm not connected to these people in any way).

Sam

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

HI Sagit!

I had a similar problem some time back...and i did check out a few tools.
    MaxQ and Canoo webtest are 2 of them.

I have finally settled with Canoo even though it does not support a lot of stuff cause it can be integrated with Ant.

Besides it has an HTML parser which checks the HTML code was proper or not (any missing close tags for eg)

Best of luck!
    regards,
    Aatish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Very Good Thread. A lot of good information on this thread.

Keep up guys.

------------------
    Vinod
    avinodkumar@rediffmail.com
    Vinod
    If you want a high quality software system, you must ensure each of its parts is of high quality. by Watts S. Humphrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have been checking out the beta of TestSmith from qualityforge.com for the past ten days or so. It is proving to do a pretty good job on the GUI aspect of the tests I am creating - both on Windows applications and Web applications. It drills down through the windows (or HTML) objects and identifies everything by object rather than position, threrefore script playbacks can adapt to changing GUI's.
    I'm certainly more impressed with this tool than I thought I would be having read some of the other comments in this forum.
    I heard a rumour that TestSmith licenses will be free for individual users, but there is nothing on the website about this yet.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have recently done some evaluations on some more test tools. But it would be really freat to know what kind of GUI ur goin to automate!

Is it web based / SWING/ etc?

Cheers!
    Aatish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by max_norfolk:
    I have been checking out the beta of TestSmith from qualityforge.com for the past ten days or so.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I tried TestSmith on a JAVA application (UI), it records fine , but when it comes to playback, it crashes.Has it got anything to do with options?
    any clues!!?
    thanks in advance!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have used TestSmith on Java UIs without a problem, but I am only logging Errors (if that makes any difference?).
    You should report any defects to the vendor as this is, after all, a beta tool; hopefully such problems will be fixed in the release.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast