Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automation Vendors for Unix?

From searching for current regression test (automation) tools that support Unix, it appears that Mercury (Xrunner), Segue (SilkTest) and yes, remember this one?, CAPBAK/X (Software Research) are the only ones left.
    Further, it appears that Software Research is the ONLY one left that supports SGI's (I'm waiting for an answer from them on the SGI question). Anybody using CAPBAK/X? or has in the past?
    Any comments or corrections?

Am I the only one doing automation on Unix boxes? Or are there a lot more (like ... 6 or 8 of us)?

Why is the Unix market so small that vendors don't care about it? I know...I suppose the answer is gonna be that there's 10 billion times more software being written for PCs/Webs!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automation Vendors for Unix?

As 32 bit versions of Windows began to proliferate and stabilize a good portion of tadional client server development (which had been on Unix/X-Windows) began to move to Windows. It was pure economics which drove this in many cases; PCs are cheaper than X Stations. The introduction of the Web had an accelerating affect on this shift - some companies even leapfrogged client server on Windows, going straight to Web interfaces for older client server apps. UNIX testing tools are are more expensive than the comparable Windows-based tools.

I Began working for Mercury Interactive in 1996 and the shift from X-Window client server development to Windows was already underway. There were a couple of items which seemed to provide large bumps in the movement. Web has already been mentioned, but also the introduction of Windows 4.0, which provided a higher level of stability than it's predecessor and also the redevelopment effort of many applications associated with Y2K efforts. I left Mercury in late 2000 to found my own firm, but by that time the shift off of UNIX for client development was nearly complete, excepting some highly specialized applications.

------------------
    James Pulley
    nospam.jpulley@nospam.itestsolutions.com
    iTest Solutions, Inc
    704-243-2854 (voice)
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automation Vendors for Unix?

Look at TestQuest, capture basis is hardware, tool is non-intrusive to system under test and operating system independent. It is currently used against many flavors of Unix products.

------------------
    Mitch.Krause@TestQuest.com