Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is automated testing the answer?

I have currently been thrown into my company's testing team. The base of our current testing efforts consist of manual tests driven by test scripts written by myself. I am currently being pushed towards an automated testing program by my superiors whom do not even unit test their own code. I am responsible for testing a billing software program with an oracle 9i backend written in pl/sql. I have researched many testing tools yet, without having any automated testing experience any guidance would be helpful and appreciated. I see flexibility of the tool to be the key in its success.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is automated testing the answer?

CNote,
    Flexibility in the tool is not the answer. The answer is understanding and support by management for automation of testing. The tool will not be a silver bullet that will solve all your problems and make your testing go faster. Quite the opposite in the beginning, which is why a lot of automation projects fail. Learn and live this mantra: "automation is not automagic"!

Misconception of what automation is and how it can be beneficial is the biggest problem anyone faces. A proper expectation must be set with management and other affected parties (development and marketing). The best way to explain it is that automation needs to be treated just like regular application development. Even if you go and get one of the best test tools and add on a Keyword driven library you will have development time to build the data sets, driver scripts, error handling routines, and report engine. Even despite what some of the Keyword library advocates say it will take time.

[It would be beneficial for those of you promoting Keyword driven testing to specify how long it took you to implement this approach the first time.]

This will be on top of time to learn the tools and their functionality. Also, once all this is done you will have maintenance time to consider. Maintaining and debugging scripts is just as time consuming as regular programming, even more at times. But if you plan properly and build your automation system in a step by step process you will have better control.

Another thing to consider is resources allocated (both personel and equipment). You will need someone full time to do this, and have dedicated machines (controlled environment which development & other test staff are not allowed to touch). Doing it as a part time effort and on volatile platforms is just going to make the job more difficult and prone to failure.

Phew!.... I gotta stop here and let some other people chime in. I gotta go pick up a pizza. This is making me hungry.

Remember "automation is not automagic".

Best of luck to ya.

------------------
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Points for Confirmed Friends

You have to analyse your application with respect to the automated tools. That means how much percenatge of the tests can be automated? Then you can go through the selection of a list of tools for evaluation. At the end of evaluation you can prepare the comparison document and select the best tool which is satisfying your requirements.
    Evaluation should be done on your application so that you will come to know about the help of automation tools for testing your application.

Learning curve of the tool is also one major area you have to consider while evaluation apart from the features ..

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for your input.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cnote,

are you thrusted this job against your will ?? i see a lot of dislike in what you are doing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't want my frustration to appear as dislike. My company currently does not veiw testing as valuable. Due to this testing salaries are very LOW and we have not been provided a testing DB. Therefore to accurately test is currently impossible. We are incapable of creating valuable testing scripts due to lack of input and output control/analyzation. I view this introduction to the testing world as a learning experience. Once I have laid the ground work for the testing environment at my current location I will take the testing skills I have developed and move on. QAFORUMS has been a vailable source for testing information. Thank you for all your help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't want my frustration to appear as dislike. My company currently does not veiw testing as valuable. Due to this testing salaries are very LOW and we have not been provided a testing DB. Therefore to accurately test is currently impossible. We are incapable of creating valuable testing scripts due to lack of input and output control/analyzation. I view this introduction to the testing world as a learning experience. Once I have laid the ground work for the testing environment at my current location I will take the testing skills I have developed and move on. QAFORUMS has been a valuable source for testing information. Thank you for all your help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cnote,

Try browsing General Discussion or other areas of this forum, situations like what you are in, "Is the Industry Standard". You will find very few companies who have the "ideal" environment. Look at my posts, we seem to be in the same kind of situation. Size of the company need not necessarily mean it will have better processes.
    Would do you mean by "lack of input and output control/analyzation". You as a tester have to create this process, if i understand it correctly.
    "we have not been provided a testing DB". Does 'we' mean QA? if it does i understand you have to create your own DB for testing, populate the DB with test data depending on set criteria.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Nice to hear that you were successful in getting a DB for testing. I totally understand your frustration, as i am going through a similar project.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When I state 'we' the test team has not been granted a DB that is 'off limits' to the rest of the organization. So we may have individuals from support, development, etc. going into the DB and making modifications to the code, data, etc. We are moving in the direction of providing a DB that is soley for testing. This will be a huge move in the right direction. I will be able to generate test scripts with inputs that will become standard because I will be able to reload the DB with the test data set. This in turn will allow me to generate tests to evaluate the changes that are made to the code. Once again please do not view my frustration as dislike.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast