SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Bad vendor sales

What can be done in a situation where a tool has been purchased off the back of an inadequate proof of concept exercise (didn't bother looking at more than a couple of screens).

What steps that can be taken to involve the vendor in helping out with the situation.

What else can be done.

I am especially hoping for a jpulley3 perspective on this one.

------------------
    GUI automation is GUI automation. It is not testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Bad vendor sales

Through past experience, i raised logs with the vendor support for areas (third party components) that were proving problematic.

Although during the proof of concept i specifically asked about these areas because i knew they would be tricky.

The vendor was quite helpful, although i went along the lines of we would not complete the purchase until these issues were resolved.

------------------

That sounds to me like a good vendor sale.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok fair point, i am assuming from your response that the purchase is complete. My point of raising logs with the vendor still stands, basically cause a stink with them until you have their attention therefore their help.

The typical scenario is where the vendor has made the sale based on a flimsy POC exercise, and the customer is having trouble with his automation and turns to a test consultancy for help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree that is the typical scenario which is why the client should either carry out a proper evaluation themselves or turn to a test consultancy earlier before a purchase is made. Though i dont suppose this helps your current predicament.

it's more of a recurring theme than a current predicament, which is why I am keen to hear ways of "making the vendor part of the solution".

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

my point is if a more informed purchase decision is made then the vendor shouldnt have to be included in the solution, ie if the tool was purchased on its own merit rather than what the sales guy says it will do.

I dont mean to hijack your thread but if firms were better informed then there would be no need for fire fighting consultants to save tools from becomming shelfware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello sr !

As wooks is trying to project ....below ..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wooks:
    The typical scenario is where the vendor has made the sale based on a flimsy POC exercise, and the customer is having trouble with his automation and turns to a test consultancy for help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the post is referring to "What after ?" than to "Why not before ?" ...

------------------
    never say die

[This message has been edited by witchcrop (edited 07-17-2002).]
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Depending on the sales scenario, would it be possible for your organization to write into the sales contract terms that the vendor will participate in the installation/training/etc. for $xx.00 for a set period of time? That makes the vendor stand behind their product and could help minimize problems for your organization later. There can be many creative variations on this theme but the main key is that vendor assistance is included as a condition of the sale.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast