Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My evaluation of TestComplete

I am in the process of evaluating automated testing tools for my company. I took a look at TestComplete. I heard some good things from other QA folks about it so I decided to take a look. From what I see, it is very flexible, however, it requires extensive programming knowledge to make it work effectively. It does not contain a GUI map with all of the windows objects (text fields, drop down list, labels, etc.), it simply uses the pixels to select objects. If your UI changes frequently, this would require a lot of script maintenance. You can capture the image of say a button and then refer to it later, but again, a lot of script maintenance.

Please let me know of your experiences with TestComplete.

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: My evaluation of TestComplete

I think I have some issues with your evaluation criteria.

All tools require extensive programming knowledge for them to be utilised effectively.

You should wait for your GUI to stabilise before automating it.

I'm not sure whether a GUI map is a standard thing to expect. They have their benefits (and at least one drawback. WR has one, Robot doesn't.

------------------
    GUI automation is GUI automation. It is not testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your reply. To set the record straight, I think TestComplete is a good tool. I have not eliminated it yet. I agree you should wait till the product is stable before automating it. However, in today's market, you have to produce quickly and prepare early. The tool needs to be able to adapt to a changing UI quickly.

I need a tool for a client/server Delphi app and a web JavaScript/ASP/ActiveX/HTML.

I would like to know how comprehensive TestComplete is and how easy it is to maintain from users who have used the tool extensively.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have to admit to not totally agreeing with you there! Surely, one of the main benefits of test automation is that the AUT DOESN'T have to be completely stable before automated scripts can be implemented! Clearly there is a balancing act to be carried out but ultimately tools that operate at the object level are only sold due to their flexibility. I believe that if automation is delayed too long than the whole process loses value completely.

As for your point that all test tools require extensive programming knowledge, again, if this were the case automation would remain in the domain of developers and not be moving testing into a domain all of it's own. It is the very fact that testing tools DON'T require a knowledge of programming that enables them to be utilised by such a wide variety of organisations.

Sorry to contradict such an experienced chap, but I did feel there were a couple of points that needed addressing!

Thanks!!!

------------------

Time spent amending automation scripts is time spent not testing. So thats why I would want to minimize scripting time especially if my underlying functionality is not changing.

All test tools require extensive programming knowledge if they are to be utilised [B]effectively[\B] - that one word from my previous post makes all the difference.

------------------

damn I knew I'd get the bold quotes the wrong way round.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How many of you guys are actually using TestComplete on a day to day basis ??

Just Interested....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TestComplete contains the Object Browser which list the currently open window/text boxes etc of all system processes (I use it to get names etc of controls).

"it simply uses the pixels to select objects"
    This is simply not true. If you record or write a statement such as

w.Window('MyButton','Click-Here',-1).Click(10,20);

and later the button is moved, the script will still work, as the (10,20) are relative to the control being clicked (i.e. the tenth and twentyth pixel of the button, no matter where on the screen).

For Delphi apps (if you are will to make them open for testing purposes), I have not found a better tool.

------------------
    Eric Holton
    Microsoft Corp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TestComplete is new (well version 2.0) so you won't find extensive experience but you will for AQTest but anyway Wooks is right I have used the following tools extensively QARun, Robot, Winrunner, SilkTest and Visual Test and not one of them does not require programming to make them robust for playback

------------------
    The Test Force is strong in this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi, I am researching the TestComplete 2.0 too. I also do think this is a very good product and I am very like to learn more experience.

------------------
    http://www.angGoGo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast