I'm relatively new to automation testing. I need help with the following queries w.r.t to the 3 main automation tools: SilkTest, WinRunner, and Rational Robot.
1. Traceability - We need to understand on how these tools integrate with the various
requirements management tools available in the market. Identify what are recommended by the tool vendors and also check on possibility of integrating the test tools
with other req management tools not recommended by the vendors. This is basically to address repeated quesions on
how we propose to maintain tracebility between the different project artefacts.
2. SCM (Software configuration management) - What are the various SCM tools that are recommended by various test tool vendors? We also need to check on the possibility of using SCM tools which do not integrate with the testing tools and come out with a process
for the same.
3. Project architecture - This should basically contain details on how we recommend to setup the entire project architecture for test automation. It should start from setting up the initial test
repository, the folders we need to have in place, how each of the test artefact is organised in the project etc. It could also include details on the ideal setting in a tool to record scripts, settings to execute scripts etc. Best if we could capture all minor details.
4. User Acceptance - We need to come out with a clear definition on how the client should go about accepting the scripts delivered to them. Basically details on what are the tests he needs to perform
to ensure that we have delivered what they have asked for.
5. Delivery - A mechanism on how we could deliver the repository, scripts to the client once the development is complete at offshore and details on how the client would
go about setting up the environment once delivered.
6. Estimation model - We do not have a estimation model in place for automation projects. What should be the parameters for doing a estimation? Once we have these in place we could arrive at some sort of methodology to do the same. Right now we
just collect all the parameters tht shud go
in for estimation.
7. Object properties - A list of all the object properties that the different tools capture for our first level of automation.
8. GUI files organization - How are the GUI declarations files organized w.r.t the various tools?
What are the limitations of the diff. tools?
If you could answer these questions, I should be grateful.
Just a short reply to one of your points: the GUI object management is best (IMHO) in SilkTest. The OO nature is better than WinRunner GUI files, and 100,000% better than QARun object maps. I believe it is also more extensible, but again, just my opinion.
In addition, so far as I know, Silk integrates well test case management systems.
"What we elect to call imagination is mere combination of things not heretofore combined." - Frank Norris
What we elect to call imagination is mere combination of things not heretofore combined. - Frank Norris
Best to reply to me by email my email is email@example.com. I don't argue that it extends objects better or worse here but that once you have recorded your scripts objects are easy to get to rename, etc. Especially for new comers. Silk is not as easy to get to grips as say the other tools.
Glad you read it and liked it. There will be more documents and just as detailed Just got to find the time. Took me about 4 -6 months for the last paper lol.
I will be editing a popular software mag column but I will tell you more once it starts.