Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need info on Functional Testing Tools

I'm looking for a functional testing tool for a unique business application delivered on the internet. Are there any tools out there that will test a robust application that is NOT a client-server app, but is a web based app?

On the server side, we use VB and ASP. On the client side we use HTML pages and JavaScript. Browser requirement is IE 5.5 or above. Database is SQLServer2000.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Need info on Functional Testing Tools

all the sponsers on the left have a solution for you, also rational might work, but they choose not to spend any money advertising on popular qa sites

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    The functional testing tools u can use is winrunner or astraquick test which can support web applications.
    but i am not sure for ur evvironment since evaluation copy is available for astra qucik test u can evaluate it.
    p001

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The reason for the question is because we don't just have a website, we have a real application with a lot of complicated programming behind it. It's delivered on the web. So I suspect typical web testing tools won't be able to handle the complexity of our code --- won't be robust enough. And I'm not sure if standard gui testing tools, like WinRunner, can handle it either because of the web involvement.

If anyone has any insights into this, I'll be interested to hear them. Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You haven't mentioned anything that WinRunner with their WebTest Add-On can't handle.

The fact that your application is "complicated" needn't be a concern. Lots of complicated applications are tested with WinRunner.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 03-22-2002).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the feedback. I have previous experience with WinRunner at my previous employer. I'll follow up with Mercury.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chobbs:
    The reason for the question is because we don't just have a website, we have a real application with a lot of complicated programming behind it. It's delivered on the web. So I suspect typical web testing tools won't be able to handle the complexity of our code --- won't be robust enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think perhaps your misconception is what automated testing tools can do, versus what many people have them doing. Automated testing tools are more than capable of testing the internal logic of an application, doing runtime database checkpoints, exercising various functions and calls to other portions of the application and the like, but that will not be achieved through record and playback.

I'd suggest you get or more of the tool vendors in and ask them to do a demo ON YOUR PRODUCT, and then get the software in for an evaluation period - you may be surprised at what you can actually achieve in automated testing.

There are a great number of people testing 'real applications' that are web-based, as opposed to simply being websites. I'd probably guess that if they're only testing a 'website' in the sense you mean, they'd have little use for automation because the complexity is just not there.

------------------
    ~ Annemarie Martin ~
    annemarie[dot]martin2[at]verizon[dot]net

~ So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts - what's so amazing about really deep thoughts? ~ Tori Amos
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's apparent that you don't fully understand how to use automation or it's purpose. The automated tools can test just about anything you want - it's your job to figure out how to tell it to do that. Regardless of how the app is delivered - the automated tool tests the functionality -you tell it how to pass or fail it. Alot of people seem to think these tools magically interpret the apps code and tell you if it's right or not - not so - you tell it that part - you use the tool to exercise your apps code though.

------------------
    www.turbotester.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do understand how to use automated testing tools, but neither I nor my staff are programmers. We're testers. The real issue is finding the right tool. I was looking for some assistance in finding the right tool.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I have enough info to proceed.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you're not programmers now, I suggest you either hire some or start training fast. NO automated testing tool that uses a scripting language is worth anything without some significant programming behind it.

And if you think you're going to get by on some silly script recorder, I recommend that you review some of the posts on this web site.

Script recorders were toys 10 years ago. They're still toys.

------------------