I'm basically involved with the testing of an online trading system. The application itself says, a lot of testing pertaining to calcualtions and different scenarios is involved. Earlier i was testing the application manually but now theres an immense need for automated testing and to ensure stability of already tested modules as more and more new functionalities are being introduced. I'd appreciate all the help in selecting the right tool in this regard..and what steps that i need to follow to ensure that i have the right thing.
Test tool selection selection criteria questions. (in no particular order)
1) Does it support the O/S language(s) and tools used to create your product.
2) Can your company afford it.
3) Can you and your team learn the tool easily.
4) Will the cost of the tool be offset by savings in the end product (managers want to know this)
5) Does the tool offer the testing types that you need (you said regression, right?)
And there's a host of other things. Look for posts by E. Dustin. She's written a couple of books on software testing and automation. I believe at least one of them has a very comprehensive list of how to choose your tool. Good luck.
There are no failures.
There are only extended learning opportunities.