Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is the best automation tools for Lotus Notes/Domino, VB and Java

Is there a automation tool that supports Lotus notes, VB and Java? If yes could you tell me about it.

We have a couple of softwares that are developed in:
    1) Lotus Notes / Domino
    2) VB and Java
    3) Only Java

We had difficulties locating any automation tools that's support lotus notes/domino. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What is the best automation tools for Lotus Notes/Domino, VB and Java

Pretty much all of Notes consists of non-standard gui objects. It will be hard to find a standard automated test tool to test it well.

You may consider a hardware-based solution (Inferno?), or consider using LotusScript to automate it.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lotus uses SilkTest. As does Sun to test java.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamesso:
    Lotus uses SilkTest. As does Sun to test java.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James, do these companies use tools other then Silk? Your statement seems to suggest that both of these companies are Seque cusomers to the exclusion of other testing tools... is this accurate, or did you accidentally forget to mention the other automated testing tools these companies use? Also I notice you did not answer the original question...

Thanks,

------------------
    Sean McDonald
    SQS
    www.sqs.com
    seanm@sqs.com
    732-940-9470
    Sean McDonald
    SQS
    www.sqs.com
    seanm@sqs.com
    732-940-9470

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I was a little confused James's post as well. Just because Lotus uses Silk doesn't meant Silk can be used to automate a Lotus application, and in particular a Lotus/Domino application. The response seems to beg for more information.

All the major vendors can work with Java applications, and I think that most of them can work with Java/VB. I don't know if WinRunner can work with a combination of Java and VB at the same time. You have to load the Java add-in to get the Java objects recognized. Actually, I haven't done this with Silk so I don't know if it can do it either.

As always, the best thing to do is contact the vendors and ask them. Then get an evaluation copy of their product to test it out yourself. From the recent posts, Segue isn't doing evaluation copies anymore (which doesn't make any sense to me), but I wouldn't make any purchase without making sure the product worked successfully in my environment first.

Atlee

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm confused as to what you're offended by, Sean. I read James' response, and thought it was fairly clear that by mentioning that Lotus and Sun use Silk products, he WAS answering the question of whether or not there is an automated tool that supports Lotus/Dominoe apps. And even if the companies *do* use other tools, what difference does it make if he mentions all of them? Would somoene be wrong to say, I know that tool X supports Y simply because they don't state what all available tools support?

------------------
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers and me...
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to confuse people. I can not speak for what I do not know. What I do know I posted. I'm not directly or indirectly implying that these vendors do not use other tools. These are large companies and I know that they have tools from several vendors. I have talked with people who test Domino and Notes about their automation efforts with SilkTest. The same goes for contacts at Sun.

I don't want to use this forum as a debate floor, only to share what I have learned.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Everything is web base (lotus / domino). Do you recommend that we go with Silk? Or should we just leave the lotus application without any automation (just manual testing) and concentrate on the Java and VB application for automation?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Julie:

I'd recommend contacting Silk to see if their application does, in fact, handle Lotus/Domino objects. If they do, ask for a demo in-house. Then determine if the cost of automation of that application is any higher than it will be for your other apps, and determine whether or not the ROI is going to be good enough for your company. Do you already have a tool in house for the other apps? If you'd be purchasing Silk products solely for the Lotus apps, when you have a different tool in house for the others, it probably makes no sense to purchase both, whereas if you can use Silk for all of the products, there might be a better arguement.

------------------
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers and me...
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Julie -- To help you sort this out:
    Since your testing is strictly Web-based, then it's really wide-open what Web testing tool you want to use -- SilkTest, WinRunner, whatever. Testing Notes on the Web via a browser is much like doing any other kind of Web testing: you'll see HTML, Java applets, JavaScript, etc. The friendly comments and warnings that others have been giving you in this thread assumed that you were doing at least some non-Web testing. In that case, you would find many Notes-specific problems to overcome, as many of the Notes GUI elements are not recognized by the windowing environment, and therefore cannot be recognized by automation tools such as SilkTest.
    AG
    P.S. -- Those of us who develop Lotus Notes itself, as opposed to Notes applications, do in fact use SilkTest for much of our inhouse GUI testing, both for Web and non-Web. We also use other automation tools, both third-party and homegrown.

------------------