Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

two basic problems about autimation test

I am working in testing department in our company, we want to automate testing, but some basic problems come up:

1.is there any formal or common definition about automated software testing?
    We want to know what is automated software testing. Because we find that we have seldom idea about this and I can not find any book or paper which can tell me directly.

2.What kinds of defects are siutable to be found by tools?
    We found there are few defects were explored when we used automated testing. We have little confidence about our product after testing it by tools.(Our products are telcomm equipments,)

Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: two basic problems about autimation test

It sounds like you could use some basic help.
    Perhaps you should hire a test automation consultant to come in, look over your situation and give you some advice.

There are many, many books on test automation out there that can explain what test automation is, how it can be used, and the results you can expect.

If you are having no success so far, get some help. Perhaps the vendor of your test tool could provide some help for you?

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 10-09-2001).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you!
    Yes, I know there are many books on test automation, but I found all of them only give the advantage and/or disadvantage about test automation, this is not the definition on test automation. After reading many books or papers, I have not clear idea about what is test automation yet.Can you give me some more advice?

Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Have you looked at Automated Software Testing, by Dustin, et al.?

Part I: What Is Automated Testing?
    Page 27 has an outright definition. Elfriede, may I quote you?

------------------
    "C'mon now, you know cheddar doesn't agree with you." - Capt. Archer to Porthos
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Have to agree with Jordan here.. there are some great books about actually planning and implementing automation. And depending upon the type of application you have (web based, C/S, etc.), there may be books that will help specify how to approach automation from step 1 on...

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgottlieb:
    Have you looked at Automated Software Testing, by Dustin, et al.?

Part I: What Is Automated Testing?
    Page 27 has an outright definition. Elfriede, may I quote you?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jordan,
    As you can see I am a bit behind.
    Definitely feel free to quote anything out of my books
    Thanks
    Elfriede

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am reading Elfriede Dustin's book <Automated Software Testing> (4th Printing February 2001,) now.

Here are the definitions that I find in page 4, Automated Testing: The management and performance of test activities, to include the development and execution of test scripts so as to verify test requirements, using an automated test tool
    In Page27
    "Automated software testing, using automated test tools, is a development activity that includes programming responsibilities similar to those of the application-under-test software developer."

To these definitions I wonder whether we can distinguish following conceptions.
    1.test data (or test case) generation to test execution automation.
    2.do you think the approaches to Automatic Detection of Software Failures is automated software testing?
    3.do you think system self-testing is automated software testing?
    4.do you think tool aided testing (e.g. tester use tools send one message to application-under-test and have to check ten messages to verify test requirements by manual) is automated software testing?

Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

who can help me?

thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by g05070225:
    who can help me?

thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I want to reply to this with a detailed answer (giving my thoughts). However, I am in the middle of a major release. Can it wait until the weekend?
    Elfriede

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by g05070225:
    who can help me?

thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In general, I think it's safe to say that any time you use software to help you perform any testing activity, you are engaged in a form of "automated testing." This software can be "off the shelf" software, or it can be something you purpose-build for your product.

In any case, I would not lose a lot of time trying to form a consensus of opinion on how "automated testing" is defined. Rather, look at your system, do some risk analysis, decide where you think it would be advantageous to employ the capital and personnel expenses to automate testing, and proceed from there. In other words, don't try to fit your testing to a tool, but look for tools that fit your testing needs.

At my last job, which was on a telecom product, we did not use any commercial test tools. We did, however, create some switch simulator software to generate data for the system, and we created a number of test programs for regression testing (create a known set of test data, pass it to the system under test, then compare the output to control data from a previously validated version.) I suppose if I had to give these things names, I'd call the switch simulator a "test support tool", and the regression test an "automated test".

------------------
    Charles Reace

charles{DOT}reace{AT}verizon{DOT}net
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast