Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is there an automated test tool for JCL batch streams?

I am looking for an automated testing tool for OS390 (mainframe) JCL Batch Streams. Is anyone aware of any products which would be suited to this?

The batch streams are being run on windows package on Windows NT.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is there an automated test tool for JCL batch streams?

I don't believe there's anything specifically designed to test JCL.

Some of the test tools allow you to test using a terminal emulator (WinRunner has a TE Add-In).

What kind of testing are you thinking of?
    I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of tests I'd want to do on a bunch of JCL.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I want to run an automated system test. ie submit/execute about 100 or so jobs in sequence, each one after the previous one has completed successfully.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Docker:
    I want to run an automated system test. ie submit/execute about 100 or so jobs in sequence, each one after the previous one has completed successfully.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see.
    It's been quite a while since I have used any JCL, but couldn't you just paste the 100 jobs together into a single JCL stream?
    If I recall correctly, JCL allows you to conditionally execute jobs depending on the result of the previous step.

I don't think there are any automated test tools that could make it any easier.

------------------
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We could add them all into one job. But this has some disadvantages.
    a) JCL has a limit of how many steps it can deal with, and b) all the output (messages) from all the JCL would be contained in one huge file, making it very difficult to analyse, c)we have to constantly monitor to the job to see if something has failed.
    The main issue is to automate the stream so it can run overnight on its own, and if it finds a problem then email or sms the owner of the test.
    There are some similar ways of the running the stream, but management are keen to see if there is some product that will do this.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Docker:
    We could add them all into one job. But this has some disadvantages.
    a) JCL has a limit of how many steps it can deal with, and b) all the output (messages) from all the JCL would be contained in one huge file, making it very difficult to analyse, c)we have to constantly monitor to the job to see if something has failed.
    The main issue is to automate the stream so it can run overnight on its own, and if it finds a problem then email or sms the owner of the test.
    There are some similar ways of the running the stream, but management are keen to see if there is some product that will do this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, WinRunner with the TE Add-In will do what you want.
    Pretty expensive for this task, though.

------------------
    Joe Strazzere

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Docker;

From your description, I doubt WR w/TE would fit the bill. Compuware has tools for mainframe testing. Check out QAHiperstation and their QADirector products.

Jerry

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The problem I have is that although in production the system runs on the mainframe, in development the system runs on windows NT within a mainframe emulation package. Hence I need to find a software package that can submit and monitor the jobs within this emulation package. Unfortunately the mainframe scheduling programs will not run on the mainframe emulation package.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Gresham Systems Assurance has an automation tool that should meet your requirements. It's a black box solution, which means it is indifferent to the system to be automated/tested. Provided your "NT within a mainframe emulation package" has a keyboard, mouse and monitor, Inferno can drive your application.

Doug Render www.gresham-assurance.com

------------------