Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

handling a reboot

We had an application and while running on IE the application needs a reboot.Can Winrunner handles the reboot and if so please tell me how??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: handling a reboot

You should try posting this in the WinRunner forum. (if you havent already).

I know in Silk there are agents that you can remotely manipuate. I would assume that WinRunner had the same type of facility. Atleast it should be able to continue with the testing after a reboot.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is quite a common question. The best way to know if you can do this type of thing for any automation tool is to think like the following:

1) Can my tool be ran automatically upon startup (e.g. can you create some kind of service that kicks off the test tool. If yes then the following applies.
    2) Record/script the activities as normal.
    3) Before the activity where the reboot should occur write some kind of indicator (just a number or a word will do) to a txt file.
    4) Write the reboot functionality.
    5) In the beginning of your script have some code that checks the txt file for the indicator. If it is there then skip the code/function before the reboot and execute the next code/function. else run from the beginning.

Something like that should work in any of the tools if you can get it to boot up automatically on startup.

------------------
    The Test Force is strong in this one

Points for Confirmed Friends

I think I remember reading about a setup where there is an automation server and automation clients. The server can reboot the clients and restart the automated test tool if the clients crash or if the need to be manually rebooted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would split the script into two parts:

The part before the reboot, and the part after. Just before reboot, the script would write an entry to the windows registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\RunOnce) that would automatically run the second script (using your testing tool command line).

------------------
    Eric Holton
    Microsoft Corp.