Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SilkTest vs WInRunner

Hi yall,
    I'm in the process of evaluating the automation testing tools. WinRunner and SilkTest are on my shortlist now. I'm torn between these 2 tools. I did read the SilkTest vs WinRunner comparison article written by Horwath/Green/Lawler, but still cannot decide which one to select because both tools are very competitive and both support the environment of our products. The only things listed below (extracted from SilkTest vs WinRunner comparison article)makes SilkTest different from WinRunner:
    1. Restoring an Application’s Initial State
    ·SilkTest provides a built-in recovery system, which restores the application to a stable state, when the test fails ungracefully. Plus there are many built-in functions and features, which allow the test engineers to modify, extend and customize the recovery system to meet the needs of each application under test.

·WinRunner does not provide a built-in recovery system. You need to code routines to return the application under test to the stable state and dismiss all orphaned dialogs when a test fails ungracefully.

2. Scripting Language
    ·SilkTest provides a strongly typed, object-oriented programming language. Variables and constants may be one of 19 built-in data types, along with a user-defined record data type.

·WinRunner provides a non-typed, C-like procedural programming language. Variables and constants are either numbers or strings. There is no user defined data type such as a record or a data structure.

3. Exception Handling
    ·SilkTest’s exception handling is built into the scripting language

·WinRunner’s exception handling is built around. Required coding or through the use of Exception Handling visual recorder.
    Plus I did use SilkTest in my previous job, but if WinRunner is better one I still take it into consideration.
    How about support service you got from these companies? Do they respond promtly? and are they really helpful?

Many thanks in advance

------------------
    lan
    lan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: SilkTest vs WInRunner

I use silktest and not winrunner, but I hope these comments are helpful:
    - I have found the recovery system to be invaluable. I really can't imagine having to hard-code a recovery system as competent as that myself, and to have to implement it into every single testcase I write.
    - I have no idea what difference the language makes, but silk's 4test is generally powerful enough to do anything you want (including being able to make API calls).
    - The support from segue is pretty poor, as is regularly complained about on the silktest forum; but the forum itself is full of really helpful and knowledgable people who are willing to answer your questions about the tool or the language.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lan;

There are lots of threads around that discuss the comparisons. I recently did an evaluation of the two and decided on WinRunner primarily on its ease of use. The language is easier to work with and I don't see too many QA perple with sufficient technical expertise to handle SilkTest with its oo! (I'm happy if I can find a decent C coder).

The miriad of functions supplied by SilkTest is very impressive. Of course, in WR you write the functions you need (including BaseState). Many times having the function written is a disadvantage if you need to modify it for exception behavior.

The lack of user defined types in WR is sorely missed. I guess it's a consequence of it's being interpreted, rather than compiled (in ST). Interpretation has lots of advantages - I wouldn't like to give it up.

The way scripts run is different. In ST, the first error stops the script (unless you code an exception handler). In WR, the script runs regardless, unless you stop it by handling a bad return code or catching an exception. Sometimes you want to continue on "minor" errors and sometimes you want to stop of "major" ones. Take your pick; you end up coding eitherway.

Customer service is great with Mercury and bad with Segue (some say its improving).

Good luck.
    Jerry

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vincebowdren:
    I use silktest and not winrunner, but I hope these comments are helpful:
    - I have found the recovery system to be invaluable. I really can't imagine having to hard-code a recovery system as competent as that myself, and to have to implement it into every single testcase I write.
    - I have no idea what difference the language makes, but silk's 4test is generally powerful enough to do anything you want (including being able to make API calls).
    - The support from segue is pretty poor, as is regularly complained about on the silktest forum; but the forum itself is full of really helpful and knowledgable people who are willing to answer your questions about the tool or the language.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THanks for your inputs!

------------------
    lan
    lan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Jerry and I absolutely agrree with your comment "I end up coding either way". THanks again.

------------------
    lan
    lan