Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

who do the integration test?

in our company, testers and developer are seperated teams. testers were deal with system test only before. in a recent release of our product, testers try to do integration test, but they found they can't found many defects, the efficency is much lower than system test. this phnomena came to us with 2 questions. 1st, who do the test? developers or testers? 2nd, during integration test, are test cases should designed according to the functionality of the modules under test? or testers just should according to the input space of modules to design test cases for integration test?

------------------
    KAI
    KAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: who do the integration test?

Integration testing should be done by Testers also.The focus should be more on functionlity of modules. If testing is done only by developers, then the focus will mainly be on technical part and not functionality. If testers are able to do system test, then I don't understand why they are not able to do a good Integration test. The test cases for integration testing should consist of the processes and data flow in detail between modules and within modules. Good test cases can be written with the help of functional and Technical design documents. These documents should contain the diagrams like Entity relationship diagram, Data flow diagram and Structure charts. Once the test cases are ready, a review has to be conducted with the help of Senior members in the project to make sure that the test cases are complete. This helps to improve the quality of test cases and better testing.

Since you have a dedicated testing team, they should be involved into the project right from the design phase. This will help them understand the functionality well and they can contribute a lot in various phases of testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

at the very begin I expected that the integration test will result in a better efficiency, but in fact it wasn't. I check this problem happened in several projects, but not just a individual phnomena. from the PIE testability theory of Jeffy Voas, I think a problem is easier to discover in system phase more than integration test. as a potential defect would be magnified and have a higher probability to infact other program unit and eventually propergated as a whole system behavior.

if a testcase in integration test is written in the same way as it will be consider in system test, i.e. according to it's functionality, are these testcases are actually identical appear both in integration test and system test phase and result in a poor efficiency?

all the question came to me make me confuse on a basic question, what is a suitable granunarity of integration tests?

what is the criteria of seperating modules as a suitable 'size' to perform integration tests?

are integration tests perform by developers a better solution?

what is concerned in integration test?

what information is demanded for a test to perform a effective integraton test? module interfaces? anything else?

------------------
    KAI
    KAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The test cases developed for Integration test and System test should be different. For Integration test each and every integration, process, data flow should be checked and this has to be documented in the test case in detail. You may use the techniques like Boundary value Ananlysis and Equivalence partitioning to get various combinations for input conditions.

For System test, you may not write test cases so much in detail as written for Integration test. Test cases should be like business processes and you have to just validate the system during system test.

During integration test, it is not possible to perform end-to-end functionality testing as the system will not be completely ready. Hence, you test the integrations as and when they keep getting ready and this approach is know as Incremental Integration.

During System test, it is not just the functionality that you have to test, but, you have to carry out Performance, Security, Recovery, Installations tests also. The system is tested with user's perspective and you have to also set up the test environment similar to the real situation.

Kia, I hope that I have made the difference clear to you.

How are the developers performing Integration test?

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

I like the answer above, but i have some questions,

1)is there any test tools perform the integration test?
    2) if we test a client server, can we perform an integration testing in the client site?
    3) if we have two different test cases, one for integration testing and one for reqular testing, should we have two test plans?
    4) how we determine the defect in the integration testing? i donot think we have an design doc. for it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by sunlight (edited 07-06-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

as integration test is more likely a white-box technique rather than grey-box, developers have a better understanding of the system code than testers, so they may more effective doing integration test during the system integration.

------------------
    KAI
    KAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kai, if the integration testing in only done as white box testing, then I am sure you are not testing the functionality fully. White box testing is a very complicated way of testing during Integration test phase.

My strong suggestion is that you should be doing more of white box testing during Unit test phase and more of black box testing during Integration test phase to ensure that the functionality is working as per the user requirements. If you wait to test functionality till system test phase, it would be too late.

By end of Integration testing phase you should have been implemented all the requirements specified by the user. Only way to ensure is by performing a good black box testing.

------------------