Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automated tool for Visual FoxPro

Hi there,

I am looking for a good automated tool for our system. Our system is a school system and written in Visual FoxPro. We are looking for automated testing tool which can test our application's standards. For example testing for tab order, selected few options, buttons ... Can some tell me if knows about it or is using an automated tool to test similar info.
    Thanks

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: Automated tool for Visual FoxPro

The short answer is there are no off-the-shelf test automation tools that can recognize and interact with Visual FoxPro based applications.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Residential Access Division
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for reply Tony

So, Is there any other automated testing tool which i can use with Visual FoxPro?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just wondering if you've tried asking your question to the makers of Visual FoxPro...

What tool did they use to test Visual FoxPro?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Angad:
    So, Is there any other automated testing tool which i can use with Visual FoxPro?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just about ANY automated testing tool can be used with Visual FoxPro.

The problem is that NONE will recognize the controls within a FoxPro application as distinct objects. All recording will be coordinate-based relative to the main window.

I suggest you try a few, less-expensive test tools and see for yourself how that will work. With some care, you may still be able to benefit from some test automation. You'll need to use a fair number of tricks and workarounds just because of the nature of FoxPro itself.

A few things to consider:
    - During recording, use keystrokes as much as possible, rather than mouse clicks. They'll be easier to maintain, and tend to be more reliable.
    - Create smaller, well-documented scripts rather than one huge script. That way, if a piece of your automation no longer works, you can maintain it more easily.
    - Since you may not be able to read the contents of the FoxPro screens, try to copy things to the clipboard or dump data to a file for verification purposes.

Good luck,
    ------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 06-21-2001).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've just created a SilkTest script where the application is part VFP and mostly VB.

No objects are recognized by Silk, which is a real bummer but I've managed to navigate through the VFP stuff to get to the VB stuff with quite some ease and using co-ords. Seems to be reliable enough.

Be nice to know if there is a tool for testing VFP, but I wonder why the main tools don't support it?

------------------