Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Detroit Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Visual Test vs. SilkTest/Winrunner

I am new to testing, and this board, and have not seen many posts regarding Visual Test. It seems that most of you use either Winrunner or SilkTest. My company uses Visual Test simply because that is what we have. We are open to the possibility of getting a new automation tool. My question is, how does Visual Test compare to SilkTest and Winrunner? Why do you use these other 2 over Visual Test? I have to admit, I feel that Visual Test is a bit "quirky" but maybe that is my inexperience with automation. I would definitely like to at least try a new automation tool. Thank you in advance for any input on this matter.

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Visual Test vs. SilkTest/Winrunner

If your AUT is written in Visual Basic or Visual C++ and you are comfortable with Visual Test, maybe you don't need another test tool. If you are experiencing a lot of problems with Visual Test, then it won't hurt to get evaluation copies of SilkTest and/or WinRunner so you can at least see how they work with your AUT.
    There is a big difference in price between Visual Test and SilkTest or WinRunner. And like many other merchandise in the market, there is that saying "you get what you paid for...".

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: Visual Test vs. SilkTest/Winrunner

Visual Test is a much lower cost tool when compared to the Mercury or Segue tools. Another advantage to VT is the learning curve for becoming proficient at developing test scripts is not as steep as it is for Silk. Finding knowledgeable software test automation engineers with strong practical experience with Silk is difficult. IMHO, a strong background in OOP development and software test methodology is a prerequisite for anyone considering deploying Silk.

You'll also find that there are more books and information resources available for VT than there are for Silk. Check out www.vtindepth.com.

Visual Test's Test Basic language is not derived from Visual Basic, so it has no semblance to OOP. VT does not support any of the classic OOP concepts, unlike VB.

VT lacks the facilities for creating frame files or capturing window declarations the way Silk does. It is a task left up to the developer.

VT is certainly not the right tools for validating web content on a broad mix of browsers. It only supports IE.

VT lacks built in support for distributed testing across multiple target platforms.

VT has no built-in equivalent to Silk's DBTest capabilities for comprehensive testing of database applications.

VT lacks a built in recovery system or the base state/app state concepts of Silk, but a clever developer can build these in Test Basic.

VT is certainly not as sophisticated as Silk or WinRunner, but it is 1/10th the cost.

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation