Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automated Testing of a Touchscreen App?

Wondering if SilkTest or other similar UI test tool could be used to automate the testing of a touchscreen interface? Anyone have experience with this?

The challenge is this. I need to simulate mouse events triggered by a user touching buttons on a touchscreen. A proprietary C++ application on the backend then interprets the "button push" and plays an mpeg. Output goes from a video card a separate TV monitor. There is also a laser scanner reads barcodes. C++ app will play the proper video based on the barcode scan.

One of the programmers at my company says he can easily whip up a perl script to auto generate barcodes and feed them to the C++ app. I think I can call this perl script from within a SilkTest script couldn't I?
    The goal would be to fully simulate a user's interaction with our system. Interacting with the touchscreen and scanning barcodes.

Of course there's another challenge! Our system uses one NT server tied to 8 touchscreen stations. A hotkey combination actually splits the desktop screen from the full screen on the server's monitor across all eight stations. The C++ app is then run in combination with an HTML engine. All eight screens then display the same touchscreen interface with buttons.

Has anyone had experience using SilkTest to automate a system like this?

Thanks
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automated Testing of a Touchscreen App?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qaguru:
    Wondering if SilkTest or other similar UI test tool could be used to automate the testing of a touchscreen interface?

((Yes this can be done. The tool ... hmmm. I'm guessing that any tool could be used if it can load a dll that is used to access the Windoze message system.))

Anyone have experience with this?

((I have. I used proprietary tools and Programmable Logic Controllers (with motion control) driving robots. There were other ways to do this - but this was more fun than the alternatives.))

The challenge is this. I need to simulate mouse events triggered by a user touching buttons on a touchscreen. A proprietary C++ application on the backend then interprets the "button push" and plays an mpeg. Output goes from a video card a separate TV monitor. There is also a laser scanner reads barcodes. C++ app will play the proper video based on the barcode scan.

One of the programmers at my company says he can easily whip up a perl script to auto generate barcodes and feed them to the C++ app. I think I can call this perl script from within a SilkTest script couldn't I?

((I would tend to believe this - let the Silk users handle this one.))

The goal would be to fully simulate a user's interaction with our system. Interacting with the touchscreen and scanning barcodes.

Of course there's another challenge! Our system uses one NT server tied to 8 touchscreen stations. A hotkey combination actually splits the desktop screen from the full screen on the server's monitor across all eight stations. The C++ app is then run in combination with an HTML engine. All eight screens then display the same touchscreen interface with buttons.

Has anyone had experience using SilkTest to automate a system like this?

((Not with Silktest))

Thanks
    Steve
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

((Jim))

[This message has been edited by jpensyl (edited 03-09-2001).]