Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyone using VMWare for testing?

I just recently downloaded a trial copy of VMWare for Windows NT/2000 and have playing around with it. (www.vmware.com)

I'm wondering if anyone else has taken a look at using this software as a quick way to get a few "extra" testing environments in their lab setting?

It appears to be a bit memory intensive, but with more RAM could it be viable? I like that I can ship the whole directory structure where my Virtual Machine is stored and anyone with VMWare is installed can use the files (and end up with my exact testing environment).

I could ship the O/S and all istalled components over to a developer and they can run the scenario on their own machines inside a fully enclosed Virtual Machine. Then they can switch back over to their own development O/S to correct the problem.

Is anyone using this software currently? and if so, are there any downfalls to using it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Anyone using VMWare for testing?

we installed VM ware on QA machines, the main bottleneck is that it is memory intensive. Have to refresh the screen several times otherwise user will see blurred imanges of main machine mixed with the Virtual machine.
    Now again depends on how you want to make best use of it ?
    If you want to roll back to the previous installs, for e.g test something against the previous build you can have a clean install on the virtual machine, and this will save lot of time.
    And there is another way you can make use of it, you can install the clean version and save the disk image of it, by clicking on suspend.
    You can try that too.
    Its been really while I have used it again. I might be wrong some where.
    Hope this helps.