Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Win runner Or SQA Robot

Hello all,
    Please help…. Please help……. Please Help…….
    I'm evaluating Win Runner and SQA ROBOT for our web product automatation.
    Our web application --
    1. Runs on IIS 4.0 server ( Win NT 4.0 )
    2. Source code contains ASP , java script, Java applets & Active X controls.
    3. Runs on IE4 and IE5.
    4. Each Web page has multiple HTML frames and/or panes.
    5. SQL 7.0 as back end.
    6. 3 - tier environment
    I would like to know which one among above ( Win Runner or SQA Robot ) is best automation tool for our application.
    Your advice is more helpful..
    Thanks in advance
    QA323@yahoo.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Win runner Or SQA Robot

First let me say I belive BOTH will work in the environment you describe. There is a major price break with the Robot.

Haveing said that if you anticipate doing a lot of automated testing, WinRunner is hands down a superior product. You will suffer endlessly with maintaining test casses with Robot. Most especially because they have no mechinism for mapping controls dynamically against a logical identifier.

Additionally I find the way Robot treats every deliverable in test like a sql record instead of an ascii flat file not only incomprehensible, but very difficult to implement mass changes to.

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 12-12-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

rick_weth,
    Thank you much for your advice.
    I first started evaluating Win Runner. You know what, it didn't recognize many controls ( especially submit, reset , MDI s etc. )on web page. May be I missed to add something during installation Or testing to make Win Runner ready for Web testing. Do you suggest something( add ins) to include during win runner installation. ( I cheked Web test , active X , mostly all options during installation ). Your advice is most helpful.
    Thanks
    qa323@yahoo.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First make sure the Web Test add-on is selected when you first start WinRunner.
    Also WinRunner needs to be started before the browser. If the browser is running before Winrunner is, Winrunner will not recognize anything. If the web pages you are testing include any JAVA make sure you have the Java Add-In installed. Winrunner also has a feature called Virtual Objects that can be used to recognize any object it does not automatically pick up. Check out page 77 in the Winrunner User Guide for more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thank you very much for the response.

qa323