web site management

i'm looking at automated tools, but i'm not familiar with the web site management testing feature some have. if a testing tool has this, what is it supposed to test?

Re: web site management

not having tested web applications before, i am not familiar with a tool's web site management feature. what does it test? link checking. fine. what else? rather, what should i look for in a tool with web site management features?

thanks for your reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daffy612:
    i'm looking at automated tools, but i'm not familiar with the web site management testing feature some have. if a testing tool has this, what is it supposed to test?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With "web site management feature" do you mean "link checking", "web component management", "web test management"?
    There are various tools on the market that can do all that. What exactly are you looking for?

Well, as far as the basic Web site management, you are concerned about links for the most part. But you can also be concerned with the basic layout and structure of your site. Tag and markup validation also come into play here.

A tool I like in this regard is Linkbot by Watchfire. With it I can check the links on my site, I can check any site depth problems, I can check usability issues with tags as well as tags that might not work in certain browsers, etc. I use programs like Bobby or HTML Tidy to check for usability and accessibility issues with my tags and the attributes of those tags. If your site uses Cascading Style Sheets, you can run something like a CSS Validator to make sure that you are using valid CSS and you can also try to catch certain problems that will occur in multiple browsers. Of course it should be realized that basic aesthetic issues cannot really be automated as this requires the human eye and judgment. Also remember that a link checker will verify that a link works - but it will not necessarily verify that was linked to was correct. In other words, my links may all work but they may be going to the wrong pages. Something to be cautious of.

If you are concerned with functional automation, in the sense of operating certain elements on your site, such as form elements, you can either do that manually or use automated solutions (such as those by Mercury, Segue, etc.) to help you execute those form elements - particularly with varying data sets. When using automation in this sense, determine how much you can get out of the tool and how easy that will be to implement in an automated fashion as opposed to just running through a set of test cases for each stable build.

One thing to consider is how much automation you need and what tool would best provide that level of automation. For example, Mercury offers a lower-end solution to their main WinRunner selection called QuickTest. Would this be enough for you? I could not say - but you could depending on your needs.

Does this in any way start answering your question?

yes, jeffnyman, your answer was very helpful. thanks a lot! you helped put me on the right track. will tell you how things turn out.

btw, i was thinking of getting a suite of test tools from your company, but you mentioned tools which i assume are third-party tools (not part of any suite of tools). given so, i also got from your answer that not one suite of tools is the best solution, but it's a good start. right? i can be more discriminating as time goes by.

One suite of tools may or may not be your best solution. Generally it is good to get certain tools from one vendor. For example, I generally like to get a functional testing tool from the same vendor that I got a performance testing tool because you can sometimes transfer the scripts from one to the other. But if you consider a company like RadView (with WebLoad) they really do not have a functional tool offering, per se. Or consider RSW. They have an excellent suite of tools - but nothing that really tests a PC Win32 application; they are pretty-much strictly Web-based. But I might like RSW enough that I might purchase their suite plus one copy of, say, SilkTest from Segue to handle my functional automation needs with a Win32 application. A link checking tool, like Linkbot or LinkRunner, is pretty much a given for me because most automated functional tools do not do this well if at all.

You can certainly be more discriminating as time goes by but also keep in mind that, generally, a full test suite for automation is likely something you will only buy once - or even get the chance to buy once. So it does pay to be discriminating up front and really decide what your short-term and long-term needs are going to be. Definitely look at what you need with an eye towards realizing that what you pick will, for the most part, be the final solution simply because you will presumably invest time and effort into the use of the tool as well as training (even if only informally) to use it better.