Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Data Preperation Automation

I work for a credit card company and most of the testing we facilitate simulates the posting of transactions to accounts, account cycling, etc.

For years, the only way to simulate transactions (i.e., purchases) to accounts (since we don't have anyone actually "swiping" test cards is to create a MS Project document with the account number, type of transaction, etc. and run this file through a job to format it for our postings system. This process exposes us to many errors and delays in our testing because the MS Project document and it's format are quite "touchy". By touchy I mean if a space is added after a word the job cannot format the data properly. There is too much room for human error. Are there any solutions available to automating this type of data prep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Data Preperation Automation

MS Project seems like a very odd application for doing data prep. How did you come to use it in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

About five years ago, we migrated all processing to a new postings system. As you can imagine, the testing effort was a huge undertaking. We brought in consultants (mostly from Interim technology) to assist with the project. One of their head consultants created the MS Project process to facilitate the posting of transactions. Since then, MS Project is all that has been used. There must be a better way to pull monetary files into our jobstreams without so much user intervention or room for error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kelli:

Can you explain us about your platforms and data supports?

Several tools exists in the market for test data preparation, but they vary in platform and databases supported.

By other way, may be you can use your on line application with automated regression/load testing tools to prepare data.

Regards,
    Sebastian

PS: I knew it! Bill Gates has a finger in every pie...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kelli,

With my last company (similar type of organisation to yours) we also had a requirement to create a large number of financial transactions to test billing, daily ledgers etc.

We succuessfully managed to 'automate' the process with QARun (you could use any similar tool). We developed a windows form to input Number of postings required, starting Credit Card Number, Amount to be posted, Card Start/Expiry Date etc (this could also be hard coded in the script if desired rather than using form style input).

For the number of postings required the 'script' took the starting Credit Card number (minus check digit on end) added one to the last digit and then calculated the next card number in the range. eg.

Starting CC Number:

Starting CC Number with Check Digit:

Next CC Number would be:

Next CC Number with Check Digit would be:

All details Card Number, Card Holder, Start Date, Expiry Date, Amount were written out to a file which was then read in by a second QARun script and applied to the customer account (alternatively the file was FTP'd onto the necessary host and into the correct directory tro be picked up by a relevant batch process).

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
    Colin.
    Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Colin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

“For years, the only way to simulate transactions (i.e., purchases) to accounts (since we don't have anyone actually "swiping" test cards is to create a MS Project document with the account number, type of transaction, etc. and run this file through a job to format it for our postings system.”

For years, the only way to simulate a database storage was to use several text files and then use MS Exchange to read and write the data in the files. MS Exchange would read the list of companies out of one file to get the company we wanted. Then it would read out of the Employee text file for all the people that matched the company name….(I just can’t go on any more.)

MS Project as a data formatting and transaction processing tool? I just don’t get it. How? Why? If anything, use Excel. At least it is good at processing numbers. Much easier interface to work with too.

* Most any automated test tool can do what you are asking for. Visual Basic can, and yes, Excel too.

And just why can’t the “job” handle a problem with the formatting when it is simply an extra space at the end causing the problem? Sorry folks, that’s bordering on pathetic.

Do yourself a favor. Learn a bit about software development. A couple of classes and maybe write a little code too. The reason isn’t for you to be doing the work but so you can successfully evaluate the work that is being done for you.

I worked at a particular insurance company for one day awhile back. They had this new system they wanted me to test. As I went through the software application I couldn’t believe it. Just how many times do you need to ask the customer what their birthday is? I quit counting at five. The new online system took 45 minutes to go through. The paper based system it replaced took between seven and eight minutes. The project was a couple of hundred thousand over budget and nothing worked yet.

They were creating this new system to handle polices for “bad” drivers. Excuse me. Why can’t you just put a flag on the record for each driver that indicates good or bad? And did this new system integrate with any of the other systems? Not one bit more then the old systems did with each other. There were completely separate systems for homeowners, auto, boat, and what ever other insurance they had.

I had them as an insurance company once (They do that part very well by the way) and notified them of a change of address. As our personal insurance agent was out of the office someone else handled it. Well, they changed the address on three of the policies but left out the fourth. We found this out because the agent (ours) called us a couple of months later to tell us they had to cancel all of our policies due to the bad debt on the one policy that didn’t get the address change. Yea, they did fix it but why is any persons account information in more then one place? The answer? Because that’s the way it is.

And guess what? They think all of this was OK. They don’t expect any more because the don’t know better. Why did I leave? Because I didn’t think I could make a difference. The general attitude was defeatist and the people in the power positions were the ones that made the system as it was and they “knew” how to do it the “right” way. I like to make a difference. A positive difference.

I’ve worked on systems that could retrieve thousands of records from a database on the other side of the planet in a second or two. Ones that could process the daily activity of the stock market in under an hour on a PC. I’ve worked on ones that would populate the rest of an address as you put in enough for it to figure out what the address was. At the very least, it should put in the city and state if you put in the zip code, and/or notify you when the zip code, city, and zip combination don’t match up. Some would even auto capitalize names like “Mac Grath” or “McGrath” correctly. I’ve also worked on lots of things in-between.

Yes, a “job” that can’t handle a string with an extra space on the end is pathetic.

But that’s just my opinion.

MArk B
    Was I venting? Sorry if I got any on you. Here’s a napkin.